pro-96-vs pro-2096

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick question here which is better for the P-25 system?? My city may be switching to digital as to when nobody really knows, but the neighboring city (detroit) uses it..So to conclude my question which is the better radio as in regards to all around (defects,know issues etc) Thanks

n2mdk

They really are the same radio with the main difference is the way electronics are put in a case handheld, 96 vs. base/mobile 2096. With the known issue the 2096 has with it's display going out I would think twice about it. With the GRE PSR-500 and 600 being the same money I would look at them, as well as the Uniden 396 & 996.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
They really are the same radio with the main difference is the way electronics are put in a case handheld, 96 vs. base/mobile 2096. With the known issue the 2096 has with it's display going out I would think twice about it. With the GRE PSR-500 and 600 being the same money I would look at them, as well as the Uniden 396 & 996.
I, 2nd that

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Just the reason i ask is i can pick up either one for 250, i know that the 500 and uniden are much better but trying to get the best deal

n2mdk

Just the reason i ask is i can pick up either one for 250, i know that the 500 and uniden are much better but trying to get the best deal

Since the Pro-96 and the 2096 are really the same just a different footprint as it were. Go for the 96, it doesn't suffer from the display problems of the 2096

SLWilson

Both...

I have one each of the 96 and 2096.

If you will be going TOTALLY digital and not listening to VHF Hi Band, UHF or Low Band, go for the 2096.

However, if you DO still need to listen to regular/conventional freqs, go with the 96 handheld.

My 2096 is (a 1st or 2nd addition run - I've completed all the version updates on it) and the darn thing is pretty much DEAF on VHF Hi band. A little better on VHF low band and UHF but not what a $500.oo radio SHOULD be.

The 96 hears everything just fine with the ruber duckie antenna that came on it. I have the 2096 on a Scantenna up about 30 feet. I can hook up my Bearcat 760D to the antenna and it is OK on VHF Hi & Low and UHF. The Bearcat works great so I know it ISN'T an antenna issue....

In some of the newer run radios (you know, the ones that loose their displays) they seem to have corrected the deafness on them. We have four of them at work (in our 911 Center) and they all have very decent RX on all bands. We use a Scantenna with the proper splitter on the coax for the scanners.

However, EACH of the newer models have had to be replaced because of the display "disappearing" like we've read about here so many times.

Steve/KB8FAR :(

Last edited:

SAR923

Just to muddy the waters, I have both and have also done all the updates. My 2096 has exactly the same sensitivity on all bands as does my 96. I've never had a display problem with the 2096 and it's going on three years old. I don't know if the newer models really have a significant issue with the display but you have to remember that you're getting a skewed picture of the world here. Hardly anyone will write and say their display is just fine. Almost everyone with a bad display will post the fact here. Out of the many thousands (don't know how many exactly but I suspect over 100,000) 2096's sold, I think the number with bad displays is very low.

StaticLine

I have both also.Side by side they pick up equally well.For Apco-25 the state police is simucast and the 2.0 up grade does better than 4.o.No display problems since Feb.The 96 goes to work with me and the base is handy at home for the family in case of bad weather.Both have performed well.Just think it over for what works best for you.

StaticLine

For an antenn you might try an Icom fa-1443b.I found one on e-bay cheap.For all but 800 mghz,Give the Diamond rh77ca a try. Both work great on my 96.The diamond is a little long though.Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.