Pro 96 warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt_531

So I purchased a PRO 96 in October of last year from Scanners Unlimited in San Carlos Ca. Well the owner retired in March with no known way of contacting him. My scanner has recently started having probs receiving communications. I havent changed antennas or anything like that, but signals that were normally fine dont come in anymore. Basically my question is; since this place went out of business, and since it was purchased brand new, will Radio Shack still warranty it? Or even better, does anyone know how to get ahold of glenn from Scanners Unlimited?

SCPD

QRT
Yes, the 1 year warranty is still good, My suggestion would be CALL radio shacks repair number & ask someone IN CHARGE there . Do NOT deal with any local people at RS. Unless its A DISTRICT manager or something. They would be able to point you in the right direction. Also MAKE sure you have all original receipt, Boxes etc. you probsbly be able to find more info on RS website

N1BHH

Sounds to me like you bought a refurbished radio. The warranty as I have read it is simple, you buy from Radio Shack and it has a one year warranty. If you buy the replacement plan, they replace it, buy from other than Radio Shack, it's yours to eat, especially if someone goes out of business.

SCPD

QRT
Sounds to me like you bought a refurbished radio. The warranty as I have read it is simple, you buy from Radio Shack and it has a one year warranty. If you buy the replacement plan, they replace it, buy from other than Radio Shack, it's yours to eat, especially if someone goes out of business.

How do you get he bought a refurbished radio ??? Reread his post

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Well the owner didn't specifiy if it was NIB but, if he didn't say it was a refurbished radio (I'm sure the OPer would be able to tell- or that scanulmtd should have told him) we shouldn't have any reason to suspect it was refurb.

emt did you buy it new in box? If so, you might have some options.

SCPD

QRT
Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Well the owner didn't specifiy if it was NIB but, if he didn't say it was a refurbished radio (I'm sure the OPer would be able to tell- or that scanulmtd should have told him) we shouldn't have any reason to suspect it was refurb.

I would call & check with scanners unlimited to see what they say:)

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

I would call & check with scanners unlimited to see what they day:)

Last edited:

n2mdk

Glenn was, actually still is, very reputable, he must have had some deal with Radio Shack to sell their radios. I'm pretty sure it's warranty will be good.

emt_531

Yeah my dad was up in the bay area today and I called him so he went to the store and sure enough, no number no nothing. I sent glenn an email and I know he monitors this place, so like I said, I just want to get it fixed, it sucks having a scanner that doesnt pick **** up.

kevins669

Database Admin
Yes I purchased it brand new in the box

Just because something is bought new in the box does not mean the manufacturer will honor a warranty. Obviously numerous examples can be given regarding that. I bought from Glenn, and know he is a good guy when it came to customer service. Why would you not purchase from RS to begin with, for something like that?

Glenn was, actually still is, very reputable, he must have had some deal with Radio Shack to sell their radios. I'm pretty sure it's warranty will be good.

Unless he was a licensed RS franchise, i doublt that radio will be fixed under warranty.

theshellguy1

Radio Shack Repair

In my years at Radio Shack we sent many radios and scanners to the repair depot that we did not sell. If it was new it is covered by the manufacturer labor and parts warranty for one year. Any Radio Shack should help you; however I would contact Scanner Master for direction. An earlier post says to contact a District Manager. They would lead you in the same direction as a manager or employee. Most Radio shack employees do not realize that the products they sell are sold outside of the store. Should Rich not be able to lead you in the right direction just call 800-the-shac. They will help. Good luck!

kevins669

Database Admin
In my years at Radio Shack we sent many radios and scanners to the repair depot that we did not sell. If it was new it is covered by the manufacturer labor and parts warranty for one year. Any Radio Shack should help you; however I would contact Scanner Master for direction. An earlier post says to contact a District Manager. They would lead you in the same direction as a manager or employee. Most Radio shack employees do not realize that the products they sell are sold outside of the store. Should Rich not be able to lead you in the right direction just call 800-the-shac. They will help. Good luck!

Just because you send something to a repair depot does not necessarily mean it is covered by the manufacturer. You must submit proof of purchase, and that determines your eligibility.

If you buy a Pro-96 new on ebay, and bring it to RS with your paypal receipt, do you think it will be fixed for free?

Good luck getting someone at RS toll-free #. You type in your zip code, then the phone rings at the District Manager's office.

Also, to the OP, are you sure your local agency did not switch to a new system? Try the weather band, and if you pick up NOAA then your scanner is more than likely ok, and your agency switched.

If you get nothing on WX, if you are a bit handy, open the case and look at the BNC connection to the PCB. If you are a bit rough with the antenna, the connection to the PCB may have come loose, and a simple solder job will do the trick. I have seen that many, many times on this radio.

-- Kevin

emt_531

kevin thats what Im thinking the problem is. I remember having another RS scanner and the connection coming loose, so Im gonna take a look at it and see if I can open it without voiding the warranty. Its defiantely not that the frequencies changed, something is wrong with the scanner.

N1BHH

The Radio Shack replacement plan works. My Pro-97 had lost sensitivity on UHF and 800 bands and I went to the store, they said to wait for the label from Texas, a few days later it came, I shipped it and today in the mail I received the gift card and will hit the store tomorrow and get a new scanner. It helps if you buy from Radio Shack and purchase the replacement plan.

evan

Database Admin
If you get nothing on WX, if you are a bit handy, open the case and look at the BNC connection to the PCB. If you are a bit rough with the antenna, the connection to the PCB may have come loose, and a simple solder job will do the trick. I have seen that many, many times on this radio.

This has happened to my 96 twice. Without a warranty, Radioshack repaired my radio for around $40 if I'm not mistaken. A few months later it came loose again. If you or a friend can solder, it's not too difficult to fix.

I rarely change antennas on the radio for fear of breaking it loose again.

Status
Not open for further replies.