PRO-96 won't scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_CLAIMGUY

Ok, I have the PRO-96, used RR in loading the frequencies to the WIN96 software and used the Radio Shack 20-047 cable to load to scanner. It downloads with no errors but will not scan. I am using bank 0 only. The 0 is flashing which would indicate scanning in progress but there is nothing showing as scanning. Im in a large town so no activity would not be heard of. I hit "scan" and it just says Scan up..., or Scan down... depending on which arrow key you hit. If I hit manual, I can see the control frequencies but still no scanning. We have MOT Digital and because I used RR to load, I assume the settings are correct. Feel free to jump in and help as I have a very expensive boat anchor at this time.

Regards,
Steve

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Just downloading from the DB may not set the radio up properly.

When you loaded the frequencies into the scanner, did you set the system up as a trunked system? Either Motorola or EDACS. If you stop on the control channel and it says something like FM or CT then the radio is not set up for trunking.

How many systems did you program into bank 0? The 96 can only track a single system per bank. It will lock on the first active control channel.

Are your frequencies unlocked? This may seem obvious, but it does happen and so though the scanner will show activity in manual, it won't find anything to scan.

This isn't as important as other things, but where you're located might help too.

THE_CLAIMGUY

Just downloading from the DB may not set the radio up properly.

When you loaded the frequencies into the scanner, did you set the system up as a trunked system? **Yes, assuming the WIN96 program functioned properly. Either Motorola or EDACS. If you stop on the control channel and it says something like FM or CT then the radio is not set up for trunking. *Yes, it is showing MOT.

How many systems did you program into bank 0? The 96 can only track a single system per bank. It will lock on the first active control channel. **Well, only one system was programed. I do have the police, fire, ems etc all in the same bank but still one system.

Are your frequencies unlocked? This may seem obvious, but it does happen and so though the scanner will show activity in manual, it won't find anything to scan. **Checked and there is nothing locked out.

This isn't as important as other things, but where you're located might help too. **Don't think this is an issue because my PRO-95 and 96 have never had a signal issue where I am at.

I have answered your questions in the quote.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Steve,

I just now used Web Import for Marion County MECA Digital, selecting the 8 controls of two sites and 87 Fire/EMS and Sheriffs talkgroups. Everything is correct to send to scanner.

Question, was this a new scanner? If not, it could be you did not have Win96 set to correct comport when you sent data to scanner.

Recheck comport for the cable in PC device manager and set this port in Win96 Configuration menu.

n2mdk

When you hit manual you say you see the control channel can you hear it as well.

mikey60

Ok, I have the PRO-96, used RR in loading the frequencies to the WIN96 software and used the Radio Shack 20-047 cable to load to scanner. It downloads with no errors but will not scan. I am using bank 0 only. The 0 is flashing which would indicate scanning in progress but there is nothing showing as scanning. Im in a large town so no activity would not be heard of. I hit "scan" and it just says Scan up..., or Scan down... depending on which arrow key you hit. If I hit manual, I can see the control frequencies but still no scanning. We have MOT Digital and because I used RR to load, I assume the settings are correct. Feel free to jump in and help as I have a very expensive boat anchor at this time.

Regards,
Steve

You mention that the configuration "downloads" without error. The flashing 0 indicates that the bank is empty IIRC.

To send your configuration to the scanner, you want to upload the configuration to the radio, you may be performing a download operation.

Mike

THE_CLAIMGUY

Steve,

I just now used Web Import for Marion County MECA Digital, selecting the 8 controls of two sites and 87 Fire/EMS and Sheriffs talkgroups. Everything is correct to send to scanner.

Question, was this a new scanner? If not, it could be you did not have Win96 set to correct comport when you sent data to scanner.

Recheck comport for the cable in PC device manager and set this port in Win96 Configuration menu.

Ok, when I set it up and installed the cable it said port 4, thus I changed the setting on WIN96 to port 4. To verify I can go to device mgr but there seems to be no clear way for me to know which driver is for this cable. Just playing around when I open a driver for a cable there seems to be no option to change the port within the driver but it also does not say which port it is aligned to. It does say "8 port(s) available". Thats a given so that does not tell me much. Any advice on finding which driver is for the cable and verifying the port? Vista here.

THE_CLAIMGUY

You mention that the configuration "downloads" without error. The flashing 0 indicates that the bank is empty IIRC.

To send your configuration to the scanner, you want to upload the configuration to the radio, you may be performing a download operation.

Mike

Thanks but I am uploading to scanner.

THE_CLAIMGUY

Steve,

Frank,
Sorry did not complete the answer....it is a new out of the box scanner.
Steve

baybum

"How many systems did you program into bank 0? The 96 can only track a single system per bank. It will lock on the first active control channel."

CORRECTION
The Pro-96 will track multiple systems, of the same type in a single bank.

THE_CLAIMGUY

Steve,

OK, found it...cable is set at com4 and I have WIN96 at com4

n2mdk

No, I cant hear it....but there is static.

You need to step through all the frequencies and see if you do pick up the control channel, it will be making a sort of truck idling noise. I'm not sure if the Pro-96 gives you the percentage of decode or not, if it does that should give you an idea of signal strength.
If it's no hearing the control channel then there is nothing for it to scan on a trunked system.
This site has samples of the different control channel sounds if your not familiar with them http://kb9ukd.com/digital/

Last edited:

baybum

OK, I actually own a Pro-96, and I have it right here....

While scanning, press PGM then TRUNK
What does it say?
If it says "Not Trunked", push the MODE key and MOT will appear with a talk group you programmed.
Now hit Scan

If that doesn't work....
While scanning, turn off all banks except bank 0.
Press "MAN"
Type in 000, MAN, this will bring you to channel 000.
Do you have a frequency displaying? Do you see "MO" in the upper right corner?
Step through the channels using MAN until you hear the control channel.
If you hear it, you got it. You'll need to see at least a steady 40-50% for it to decode. When it does, you will see the sys ID in the display.
If you see the control channel, and MO, and don't hear the motorboating sound, check the antenna.

Can you receive weather broadcasts?

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

THE_CLAIMGUY

OK, I actually own a Pro-96, and I have it right here....

While scanning, press PGM then TRUNK
What does it say?
If it says "Not Trunked", push the MODE key and MOT will appear with a talk group you programmed.
Now hit Scan

If that doesn't work....
While scanning, turn off all banks except bank 0.
Press "MAN"
Type in 000, MAN, this will bring you to channel 000.
Do you have a frequency displaying? Do you see "MO" in the upper right corner?
Step through the channels using MAN until you hear the control channel.
If you hear it, you got it. You'll need to see at least a steady 40-50% for it to decode. When it does, you will see the sys ID in the display.
If you see the control channel, and MO, and don't hear the motorboating sound, check the antenna.

Can you receive weather broadcasts?

Hope this helps.

OK, I did the first part and determined it is trunked. Whats odd is that I actually picked up a person talking but it was someone other than the local police or fire. I can use the up/down and see that all of the talkgroups are there. However, it still will not pick up the activity. I wonder if its because the digital system here is new. Im going to open a new file and go back to the analog system settings to see what happens.

baybum

If you are 100% sure you have the control channel, and you don't hear the motorboating sound, then it is either not the control channel any longer, or you are too far away. That scanner will automatically decode analog to digital. Did you open your squelch all the way?

Do you have control channels from other systems, near by you can try?

Are you receiving conventional systems? Can you receive weather?

jerk

OK, I did the first part and determined it is trunked. Whats odd is that I actually picked up a person talking but it was someone other than the local police or fire. I can use the up/down and see that all of the talkgroups are there. However, it still will not pick up the activity. I wonder if its because the digital system here is new. Im going to open a new file and go back to the analog system settings to see what happens.

If yiou picked up someone talking, but not the system, it sounds like a control channel is missing from the scanner, and also from the database. Yes, sometimes RR is incomplete or a CC gets missed or deleted accidentally.

What system are you trying to program. There are people here who might already have a working P96 file they can send to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.