Pro-96 - Wont Start - Anyone Familiar with fixing these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

I got a few scanners that were broken/defected and I was able to fix all of them except this one. I'm trying to get this to work to have an extra scanner scan the mil-air bands, but I'm not having any luck.
If anyone can spot something I may be missing, or knows a bit about these, please do let me know!
I suppose the screen may just be out (although there is no sound/audio feedback at all), so if anyone has one laying around they would be willing to get rid of, let me know. I know the payoff:time of fixing this is low, but I enjoy fixing stuff as it makes the whole experience more enjoyable to me.

Attachments

• 20200626_123713.jpg
    20200626_123713.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200626_123753.jpg
    20200626_123753.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200626_123746.jpg
    20200626_123746.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200626_123724.jpg
    20200626_123724.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 22

Engine104

Member since 2005
I don't see anything obvious from the photos, like a burned SMD or something. Can you tell if it is getting any power at all?

Also, the Pro96 was not designed for milair reception. You can add it through the "extended frequencies" option in programming software like Win96, for example, but that doesn't mean it will work well in that range. If you want a good scanner for milair, check out the Uniden BC125at. They sell new for around $115 or so. I picked up a Pro-162 scanner on eBay a couple years ago. It works amazingly well on milair. Good luck.

ScubaJungle

I don't see anything obvious from the photos, like a burned SMD or something. Can you tell if it is getting any power at all?

Also, the Pro96 was not designed for milair reception. You can add it through the "extended frequencies" option in programming software like Win96, for example, but that doesn't mean it will work well in that range. If you want a good scanner for milair, check out the Uniden BC125at. They sell new for around $115 or so. I picked up a Pro-162 scanner on eBay a couple years ago. It works amazingly well on milair. Good luck.

Thanks, I didnt realize that - I will use this for something else then if I do get it working and find something else for milair. Ill keep an eye out for a used BC125 also

Im not getting any indication that it is getting any power - neither through batteries nor AC. Im thinking it may be something to do with that

Engine104

Member since 2005
People really seem to like the BC125at for milair. I've never used one, but I have read lots of reports on here about them for that. Google some reviews on here. It is an analog scanner, so it won't pick up digital PD and FD transmissions, but it is a solid choice for both military and civilian aircraft monitoring.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I suspect you're powering it via external adapter. Make sure it get through that first diode. There's protection against reverse polarity.

Golay

I still have a Pro-96 that I use for listening to ham P25. If I don't use it for a few months, it sometimes will have a blank screen. Other times the keyboard won't work. It may scan and I'm not able to stop the scan. Or it may be on one channel and I can't get it to scan. In all cases, I've had to take it apart and get the rubber keypad out. Wipe the fingers on the back of the keypad off with rubbing alcohol. And wipe where the keys hit with rubbing alcohol. The keys and where they land don't look dirty or grimy or anything when I do it. But for some reason, it works and the scanner works normally again.

As you take it apart, there is a little wedge that goes under the display that can be put back wrong inadvertently. I have actually drawn an arrow pointed up on it with a sharpie. (since I've done this repair about a half dozen times now). Seems I had a dickens of a time figuring out the right way to place that little wedge the first time I put the scanner back together.

ScubaJungle

People really seem to like the BC125at for milair. I've never used one, but I have read lots of reports on here about them for that. Google some reviews on here. It is an analog scanner, so it won't pick up digital PD and FD transmissions, but it is a solid choice for both military and civilian aircraft monitoring.

Thanks - I see a lot of BC75..s online for really cheap, so I may just do with that, I think it is about the same as the 125 but with a few less features? I do see a lot of people saying good things about the 125 for airband though, as you said
Here is a chart showing the sensitivity of the PRO-96 across its receiving range: Win96 - Data Management Software for the PRO-96 Digital Trunking Scanner

The PRO-96 service manual is here: mods.dk -> Instruction, users and service manuals for Radio_shack

If L29 is open it might cause your power problem.

Thanks for those! I dont see any obvious issue with that but Im going to look more into it.
I still have a Pro-96 that I use for listening to ham P25. If I don't use it for a few months, it sometimes will have a blank screen. Other times the keyboard won't work. It may scan and I'm not able to stop the scan. Or it may be on one channel and I can't get it to scan. In all cases, I've had to take it apart and get the rubber keypad out. Wipe the fingers on the back of the keypad off with rubbing alcohol. And wipe where the keys hit with rubbing alcohol. The keys and where they land don't look dirty or grimy or anything when I do it. But for some reason, it works and the scanner works normally again.

As you take it apart, there is a little wedge that goes under the display that can be put back wrong inadvertently. I have actually drawn an arrow pointed up on it with a sharpie. (since I've done this repair about a half dozen times now). Seems I had a dickens of a time figuring out the right way to place that little wedge the first time I put the scanner back together.
Thanks - I wouldve never imagined to try that, obviously. Hopefully it is that simple!

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I would clean the board in photo 2 with IPA or contact cleaner and a toothbrush, looks like something was spilled on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.