Pro-96 Wont turn on! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laxplurr06

I drove to the electronics store the other day, and when I got back to the car and turned it on I noticed my pro-96 was not turning on. I had opened the radio up when I got home to find nothing out of the ordinary. My question is does any one know what could have happened and where I can get it repaired?

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Did you try taking out the battery pack and plugging the ac adapter to it and see if it came on? I had one of my battery packs go bad.

Laxplurr06

Did you regularly leave your radio's power knob on, letting it power up as you start the car? I've always suspected that such a thing is risky for the radio.

I do believe I left it on when I turned the car off and then back on again. I thought the same thing that maybe it would cause a surge.

Had a similar problem with mine. Sent it in to RS and got it back in a couple weeks works great now.

Thanks, I will contact them now! How much did it cost?

Last edited:
Thanks, I will contact them now! How much did it cost?

I've read in a few other posts as I'm having issues with my Pro-96 as well, that it's 40-50USD to have them look at it, maybe that covers you for repair too but I'm not sure, I would say call them, or go to a Radio Shack, and ask the rep's there...if your not in Canada like my self :)

Maybe post back with exact figures if you find out Laxplun, I'm curious.

Laxplurr06

I've read in a few other posts as I'm having issues with my Pro-96 as well, that it's 40-50USD to have them look at it, maybe that covers you for repair too but I'm not sure, I would say call them, or go to a Radio Shack, and ask the rep's there...if your not in Canada like my self :)

Maybe post back with exact figures if you find out Laxplun, I'm curious.

I talked to people at RS and one store tells me $20 to send it in and then $50 per hour. The other tells me $70 per hour, and if you choose to repair it the $70 goes to fixing it.

StatuSChecKa

I have fried an iPhone using one of those pesky Cig lighter adapters. I do everything with USB now; I installed a USB Port in my car. I made a USB cable that will power on my scanner. And everytime I plug or unplug something I be sure and power OFF my scanner.

Laxplurr06

I have fried an iPhone using one of those pesky Cig lighter adapters. I do everything with USB now; I installed a USB Port in my car. I made a USB cable that will power on my scanner. And everytime I plug or unplug something I be sure and power OFF my scanner.

I don't think that installing a USB port will help you. You would still get power from the battery like the cigarette lighter adapter. The only difference is that the voltage is 5 volts and it uses a USB port. It still seems that this would not prevent any possible voltage surges (Possible cause of radio breaking). Keeping the radio off seems to be the best way to prevent any damage to the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.