Pro-96?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdn

Is there anyone out there who can explain to me in detail how to program apco-25 trunked systems on this thing. I've had this scanner now for one week and really don't understand programming trunked systems. I never thought it would be this confusing. If I can't get it figured out I'll probley return it, However I'd like to keep it as I enjoy the scanning hobby.

Please help if you can.
Thanks

seamusg

mdn said:
Is there anyone out there who can explain to me in detail how to program apco-25 trunked systems on this thing. I've had this scanner now for one week and really don't understand programming trunked systems. I never thought it would be this confusing. If I can't get it figured out I'll probley return it, However I'd like to keep it as I enjoy the scanning hobby.

Please help if you can.
Thanks
The easy way to program it is to get the programing cable for it (20-047) then download the software here:
http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win96/ (free for 30 days) Don't get the RS package with software, it won't work. Just get the cable from RS and download WIN96.
The software makes putting in the talkgroup text tag easier.
For a P25 system all you need is the control freqs (red and blue ones in the database here).
What system are you tring to program in?

stevie621

don't give up. I am blind and have a pro-2096 and I have win96 software. The best way to program the scanner is with the computer. Just download the win96 program. You can try it for 30 days and if you don't like don't buy it. But you will like it. People will help you here. I have speech to speak what is on the computer screen. I can't fully use win96 yet but I can write to the scanner. So I have a couple of good guys on here that will make up files for me of what I want to listen to and they send them to me and I plug in the cable and shoot it up to the scanner. Maybe someone in your area can give you a file to get you started so you can enjoy it a little as you learn. and I keep asking questions and reading these forums. Good luck with it.

sublime40

if you get the win96 program running, you can make it a no brainer if you use the import from web function. you then only need to select what county your in, and what system you want. the program will program the scanner for you.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I think one of the problems is that you don't understand how trunking systems work. An APCO25 system programs just like a Motorola system on the 96/2096. Before you pull your hair out, or take the scanner back; take a few minutes to read about Trunking Basics from the RR Wiki.

mdn

Thanks all

Thanks to everyone for their help and replies. I have actually figured out this scanner( well some of it at least ). This is a great forum and the people here seem super nice as well. I hope that some day I will have enough knowledge about Trunking and the like, to be able to help someone else.
I do have another question as well: When I program a Motorola APCO-25 Trunked frequency, The scanner mode should be MO ( For Motorola ). In manual mode I can hear the voice conversation just fine. However when I change to scan mode, the scanner seems to bypass that MO frequency. However if I change MO to FM ( using the same frequency) The scanner , when scanning, will stop at that frequency. The frequency is 151.0100. Is this normal or am I still doing something wrong? The clarity of the signal is the same ( strong and clear ) in either mode.

mdn

seamusg said:
What system are you trying to program?
As far as the system, I'm not sure but the frequencies are my local police dept.

seamusg

mdn said:
As far as the system, I'm not sure but the frequencies are my local police dept.
Local does not give any information. To help you we would need your State, County and City or a link to the data on the database here.

mdn

Sorry about that. This posting thing is a little new to me.
The State is New Hampshire
The town is Derry
The County Rockingham

seamusg

What your programing is not a Mot trunked system, it is conventional with P25 voice. The digital voice doesnot need any setting on the Pro96. Just program the freq as FM, it will be fine. The setting MOT is for a trunked system and the scanner wants a control channel for it. Your conty is conventional. If your using Win96 it should look like this:

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Just thought I would interject this comment.

[Soapbox]
Another person has fallen into the trap (fostered by the scanner mfgrs) that Motorola and Project 25 have anything to do with each other. <sigh>
[/Soapbox]

mdn

Thanks much Seamusg.
I have downloaded Win96 and will start experimenting with it.
Thanks again for all your help.

seamusg

loumaag said:
Just thought I would interject this comment.

[Soapbox]
Another person has fallen into the trap (fostered by the scanner mfgrs) that Motorola and Project 25 have anything to do with each other. <sigh>
[/Soapbox]
Hey Lou, can I get on my soapbox now? Most of the trouble is that people confuse APCO25 for the voice with Project 25 standard. This is the third time with NH apco25 voice, and the only time I haven't got an argument that I don't know the difference.

seamusg

mdn said:
Thanks much Seamusg.
I have downloaded Win96 and will start experimenting with it.
Thanks again for all your help.
Thank You, and welcome to the site. Hope you got it working. From what I've checked on NH's systems there are no Project 25 systems in your state (but I could be wrong). Most of what I've seen is conventional with apco25 voice. I get a lot of that with USBP and FBI where I'm at, plus I have 2 Project 25 systems I monitor. Also it would help if you would put your location in your profile here, then we would't have to ask where you are at. Happy scanning.
[soapbox] I've have 2 previous discussion with persons from NH about what a P25 or Project 25 system is and they were both wrong [/soapbox]
Jim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.