pro 97 beeps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
I am a new user....... I just programmed my pro97 with the win97 sortware. After some transmissions I hear three beeps what are those for and can I get them to stop?

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Is it an Edacs trunked system?If so,then not much can be done as this is normal when a user keys and unkeys the radio

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
Yes it is an EDACS trunked system... my brother has the same scanner and his doesn't do it. His has been programmed for years by the local Radio Shack. I think they use scancat lite software. I just programmed mine today win win97.

Bucko

If you have the incorrect LCN then it will not trunk and you will have the beeps. I have several EDACS systems programmed and don't have that problem. Remember that the LCN will start in Ch1 not Ch0.

JoeyC

If you have your radio programmed correctly for EDACS, correct LCNs, and decent antenna you will not hear the beeps.

Reasons for hearing the beeping are, incorrect LCN programming, missing frequencies, or weak signals.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Yes it is an EDACS trunked system... my brother has the same scanner and his doesn't do it. His has been programmed for years by the local Radio Shack. I think they use scancat lite software. I just programmed mine today win win97.
It is NOT the fault of the software. As a matter of fact, AVOID ScanCat(Lite) totally. It does not work well. WIN97 will work correctly.....

Can you tell us which system you are programming? Do you know the exact frequencies and which channels they are programmed in to in your brother's scanner? They must be programmed identically to avoid the beeps from an EDACS system.

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
I am using WIN97 software. The freq. are the ones listed on RR. I do not know the exact ones he has other than his don't have the three beeps at the end of a voice transmission.I live in pickaway county ohio and there is like 10 different freq. but only three are control channels.

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
If you have the incorrect LCN then it will not trunk and you will have the beeps. I have several EDACS systems programmed and don't have that problem. Remember that the LCN will start in Ch1 not Ch0.

I think this might be my problem! I think I started at channel 0 in bank 0!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am using WIN97 software. The freq. are the ones listed on RR. I do not know the exact ones he has other than his don't have the three beeps at the end of a voice transmission.I live in pickaway county ohio and there is like 10 different freq. but only three are control channels.
I think you are programming this system. It shows 10 frequencies. For EDACS, you must program ALL frequencies, not just the control channels. The frequencies are shown from LCN 01 to LCN 10, so just pick a bank, skip channel 00 and enter the TEN frequencies. Set them each to EDACS and set the BANK to EDACS.

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
Yes you are correct......I started at bank 0 channel 01 and entered all ten in order.Then after I uploaded them to my scanner it stuck on the first channel with a lot of static till I pushed the lockout button.......and it still has the three beeps.... so I am doing something wrong i just don't know what yet. I also set the bank to EDACS in the type drop down box. When you say set EACH channel to EDACS also what are you referring too?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Note that locking out a channel is the same thing as not programming it, for the purpose of EDACS.

Next to each frequency in WIN97 you'll see a pulldown menu: AM, FM, CT, DC, MOT, EDACS, LTR. Set each of the TEN frequencies to EDACS.

What you are hearing is the control channel. The scanner will mute it once you set it to EDACS. Apparently you have it set to FM, CT or DC.

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
Ok that did the trick.....It is a little confusing locating the drop down menu but once you find it......simple.
I think the whole WIN97 program is like that.....a little confusing at first but once you figure it out it is very simple. Now for the alpha tags.... should I post that hear or somewhere else? Also Thanks a million for your help gmclam!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Ok that did the trick.....It is a little confusing locating the drop down menu but once you find it......simple.
I think the whole WIN97 program is like that.....a little confusing at first but once you figure it out it is very simple.
WIN97 works like the scanner. There is no prompt on the scanner to set the mode; it is something you need to at least look at to make sure it is what you want. If not, change it to what you want. If there is any button on your scanner that you do not know what it does, you should look it up in the manual or the Wiki.

Now for the alpha tags.... should I post that hear or somewhere else? Also Thanks a million for your help gmclam!
You are welcome. I suspect you are currently running the bank with that EDACS system in OPEN mode. That means you are hearing everything. If you want to "limit" what you are hearing, the next step is programming TG IDs. Whether the bank is open or closed, you'll need the TG IDs programmed before you'll have a place to put the alpha tags (and make them display).

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
You are welcome. I suspect you are currently running the bank with that EDACS system in OPEN mode. That means you are hearing everything. If you want to "limit" what you are hearing, the next step is programming TG IDs. Whether the bank is open or closed, you'll need the TG IDs programmed before you'll have a place to put the alpha tags (and make them display).

That is correect I hear everything buses, city cabs,snow plows etc......... could you explain the TG ID programming?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
That is correect I hear everything buses, city cabs,snow plows etc......... could you explain the TG ID programming?
In the same bank that you have programmed the EDACS frequencies, program the TG IDs. They are grouped in 5 "sub-groups" of 30 each (numbered 0-00 to 0-29, 1-00 to 1-29, ... 4-29).

In WIN97, just like the scanner, there is a check box to turn ON the sub-groups. There is also a "selection" in WIN97 to select which of the 5 sub-groups is being displayed.

Pick the TG IDs you want to monitor from the database and program them in. You can add the alpha tags for each along the way.

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
GM, I think I figured that much out(been searching threads for hours)......do I need to enter alpha tags for the channel frequencies? If so where would I find the proper tag? All I see in the database are the frequency numbers.

Also do I need to enter ALL the talk group ids and lockout the ones I don't want to hear or just enter the ones I WANT to hear?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
GM, I think I figured that much out(been searching threads for hours)......do I need to enter alpha tags for the channel frequencies? If so where would I find the proper tag? All I see in the database are the frequency numbers.

Also do I need to enter ALL the talk group ids and lockout the ones I don't want to hear or just enter the ones I WANT to hear?
In Win97 type in the system name (up to 14 characters) next to each frequency. During comms, line 2 display will indicate the frequency plus it's LCN

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
In Win97 type in the system name (up to 14 characters) next to each frequency. During comms, line 2 display will indicate the frequency plus it's LCN

Do I just type in whatever I want or is there an "official" tag for it? Similar to what is listed in the talk group id chart for my county.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Do I just type in whatever I want or is there an "official" tag for it? Similar to what is listed in the talk group id chart for my county.
The "official name" is system (or site) name. Again keep within 14 characters so the last two are LCN numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.