Pro 97 charging batteries in black case

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_p_bowen

My Pro 97 charges (I think probably short circuits them since they get so hot) my batteries when I have it plugged in even with the black nonchargeable battery case.

I put a meter on the two connectors, where the battery connectors meet the radio, when it was plugged in and got about 9 volts from both the far right and the middle, and the far right and the far left connector.
So I think it's putting power to the connector its not supposed to.

Has anyone else had this problem?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
My Pro 97 charges (I think probably short circuits them since they get so hot) my batteries when I have it plugged in even with the black nonchargeable battery case.

I put a meter on the two connectors, where the battery connectors meet the radio, when it was plugged in and got about 9 volts from both the far right and the middle, and the far right and the far left connector.
So I think it's putting power to the connector its not supposed to.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The Black holder has 2 contacts, the one on the outside is "+" and the next one in is "-".

The Radio has three contacts, The outside one is "+" to the radio and the center one is "+" to the radio. The one on the left is connected to the "-" of the power jack. When the adapter is pluged in, Power is applies to the left pin. Look at the Black holder, it is missing the bump where the left pin would contact the holder. Unless the pin has been bent in such a manner that left contact is touching the center contact, or there is a mod to the circurt board, there should not be a connection to the batteries in the black holder from the power jack.

john_p_bowen

The Black holder has 2 contacts, the one on the outside is "+" and the next one in is "-".

The Radio has three contacts, The outside one is "+" to the radio and the center one is "+" to the radio. The one on the left is connected to the "-" of the power jack. When the adapter is pluged in, Power is applies to the left pin. Look at the Black holder, it is missing the bump where the left pin would contact the holder. Unless the pin has been bent in such a manner that left contact is touching the center contact, or there is a mod to the circurt board, there should not be a connection to the batteries in the black holder from the power jack.
Yes when there is power from the jack there is a connection to the battery. The battery pack is not bent in any way, I have two packs and have tried them both and the batteries get very hot in both of them when connected to the jack.
When I took the radio apart the circuit board look in tack as well so I don't know what is going on.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I had a few RS scanners years ago an seem to recall that the black holder was for alkaline batteries only and there was a yellow holder for rechargeable batteries. It sounds like your scanner has been modified to charge in the alkaline holder. Explains the hot batteries too.

john_p_bowen

It seems like it has been modified, I can not remember which battery case came with it when I bought it, but it was used. I will take it apart and see if I can spot any mods on the board.

W6KRU

The black holder should have two contacts. The yellow holder should have 3 contacts. The additional contact on the yellow holder is for battery charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.