Pro 97 display problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

webley445

The display on my buddy's 97 is wacky. Can only read the top half. bottom half is totally blank. can see some squares but very, very faint.
Any idea what is causing it and what remedies are available?
Is is possible to perform a DIY replacement? Appreciate any info.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
This is not the type of thing that manifests itself. But the problem sounds like an improperly seated ribbon connector from the display to the PCB. They are VERY FRAGILE.

There are tons of known problems with PRO-2055 displays. The PRO-2055 is the base version of the '97. The typical fix is to disconnect the display ribbon cable, trim the slightest amount off the end and reseat it.

If the display needs to be replaced, whether or not it is "user serviceable" depends on your skills. No soldering is required, but you do have to entirely disassemble the scanner to get to the display. And that ribbon cable is still fragile and sometimes difficult to handle.

webley445

I got the 97 apart and applied some pressure to the connector, then unplugged and reattached the ribbon but it nothing changed.
My friend and I seem to think it may be worth trying to replace the display screen. I think I could handle it.
Where would I find one and instructions for doing so?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-97 LCD display

You need to examine the ribbon under a magnifier. It only takes a hairline crack and you can not see them with the naked eye.

You can order the part at your local Radio Shack. Give them the catalog number of the scanner. Tell them you want to order a part from RSU and that you want the LCD display. As I recall they were aroung $19 plus shipping.

There are no instructions. You might try a search here; I know you'll find a lot regarding the PRO-2055 LCD display issues.

DeltaTango

The display on my buddy's 97 is wacky. Can only read the top half. bottom half is totally blank. can see some squares but very, very faint.
Any idea what is causing it and what remedies are available?
Is is possible to perform a DIY replacement? Appreciate any info.

I know this is an older post, but look here for instructions with pics.
Pro-97/Display Replacement - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.