Pro 97 LTR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyhoser175

I just bought my Pro 97 at a RS store closing and it seems to be working but I have a newbie LTR question. When scanning LTR in one bank and conventional in other banks, should the scanner be pausing on the LTR bank (displaying the name of the bank for several seconds)? The talkgroup/audio does not open, but if I push "MAN", there is traffic on a talkgroup I don't have programmed. I'm in closed mode and hear the talkgroups I want to hear, but is this just normal for LTR scanning? If this is confusing, let me know & I can try to explain better. Thanks.

dougjgray

I dont know if I totally understand your question but I think you will experience what you describe if you dont put the ltr channels in Logical Channel order like you do edacs systems. The channel number is ussually in my experince on ltr systems I listen to the middle 2 digits of the LTR ID or if youlisten to ltr freq in manual there will be a RXX on the bttom line of the display behind the ltr id dispaly and the XX will be the Channel number.

hobbyhoser175

Thanks Doug for the reply. I do have the freqs in order. I do notice this happens more during the day when the system is busier. At night there is only one user of the system & the scan rate seems faster. This may just be normal scan rate for the scanner when scanning LTR.

djeplett

No, in my experience when you have an LTR system programmed correctly the radio scans very fast over the bank with no activity. When you say you do have the freqs in order did you get the order from rr.com or some other website or did you actually listen to transmissions from each channel and verify that the order is correct? Something is making the scanner pause on the channel every once in a while and I'm betting it's recieving transmissions that say they should be on another channel and it's confusing the reciever. I've seen mine do the exact same things you're describing when I had the channels in the incorrect order.

hobbyhoser175

I did get the freq off rr.com database & I verified them on a local website. This is the system I'm scanning http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=4119

I did program them with win97 in the channel order as follows.
000 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
001 Life Link III 451.862500 LTR 0.0 D
002 Life Link III 461.600000 LTR 0.0 D
003 Life Link III 463.925000 LTR 0.0 D
004 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
005 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
006 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
007 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
008 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
009 Life Link III 464.950000 LTR 0.0 D
010 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
011 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
012 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
013 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
014 Life Link III 464.400000 LTR 0.0 D
015 Life Link III 462.025000 LTR 0.0 D
016 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
017 Life Link III 0.000000 LTR 0.0 D
018 Life Link III 451.925000 LTR 0.0 D

Do I need the channels in between the freqs (like 017 above) and should these be LTR or FM?
If I hit "MAN" when it seems the scanner is pausing on the bank, there is traffic, but not on a talkgroup I have programmed (in closed mode) Also the RXX number does match the channel number.
Thanks for the help thus far. Do you think programming the talkgroups I don't want and locking them out would help?

djeplett

I'm going to be out and about today so let me set my two LTR systems up like yours: I'll lock out a couple of really active talkgroups and see if my radio acts like yours. I always scan the two systems I have programmed in open mode with nothing locked out ever so maybe that's why I don't notice any slowdown in scanning... I'll report back.

JerGoTV3

I have a similiar issue when scanning a nearby LTR system. It hangs up on a known talkgroup very often. Is this the same issue or something else?

hobbyhoser175

It may be the same thing, but this hangup seems to be on every talkgroup. The audio doesn't open up so it's not completly annoying, but it mainly just slows the scan rate.

djeplett

Yeah I have experienced the same thing you have, hobbyhoser175. I locked out a couple very active talkgroups yesterday and when they were active the 97 paused on that bank for a split second every time. My guess is the more talkgroups you have locked out and the more of those that are active the slower the 97 will scan through the bank. BTW I had the bank in open mode, too. This makes sense because if the 97 recieves a signal it would have to check it and see if it is a new talkgroup or if it is one that is supposed to be locked out. All that would take some time for the scanner to compute.

What if you were to program that bank with only the talkgroups you wanted and then make the bank closed? I haven't done this today because the LTR systems I monitor are all business ones and they're very quiet on weekends. So I can't say if it would speed up scanning at all.

hobbyhoser175

I am in closed mode, but what your're experiencing sounds similar to me although sometimes the pause can be longer than a split second. It is reduced when there is less traffic, but it may be normal. If I have the time, I may try to shoot an mpeg of the screen to see if this is what others experience while monitoring LTR.

djeplett

With the system you're monitoring there are twice as many channels as the one I monitor which leads me to believe there may be twice as many talkgroups. With so many talkgroups that are coming up locked out, that may be why your radio pauses for so long.

How far away from these systems are you? Would you say they are always very strong signal strength? I've seen on distant systems that an active talkgroup ID flickers and I'm guessing the radio loses the decode occasionally. I think it's along the same lines as the DCS squelch problem this radio has.

Maybe as your radio scans that system it has a little trouble reliably decoding the talkgroup so it takes it a bit longer to verify if it's a locked out talkgroup or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.