PRO-97 Mil Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4UXQ

I'm looking for comments about the performance of the PRO-97 on the VHF and UHF aviation bands.

I have a BR330T and unfortunately it picks up TV band images and itself in the 225-400 Mhz band with a portable antenna having more gain than the stock antenna.

I'm looking for a great VHF and UHF air band scanner with text tags and very good audio.

Please comment if you have experience with the PRO-97 in the aviation bands using an antenna better than the stock antenna. Or any other scanner with text tags and good interference immunity in these bands.

Thanks,
Harold

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I use a Pro-97 with a Maldol AL-500H and it performs very well. It is good in both VHF and UHF. I can pick up good reception from a/c a pretty far away. It would be a good choice if you decide to get one. Not as expensive as others either.

FrankJ

The PRO-97 is average on the airbands when compared to my PRO-43 with the same antenna. I was very dissapointed. Sorry though.....the PRO-43 doesn't have alpha tags....

Frank

SCPD

QRT
The 97 is pretty good on V/U Millitary bands. Text tags sure help and getting a Dedicated VHF or UHF antenna makes a world of differance compared to the Stock antenna.

FrankJ

Also, The PRO-43 won't overload if you use an outside antenna. I've used mine with a Scantenna and Diamond Discone and it works well. I do, however, prefer to use it with a Diamond RH77CA rubber duck.....

Frank

KD4UXQ

CORN said:
I use a Pro-97 with a Maldol AL-500H and it performs very well. It is good in both VHF and UHF. I can pick up good reception from a/c a pretty far away. It would be a good choice if you decide to get one. Not as expensive as others either.

Can you comment on interference immunity and birdies in this range?

Thanks!

KD4UXQ

FrankJ said:
Also, The PRO-43 won't overload if you use an outside antenna. I've used mine with a Scantenna and Diamond Discone and it works well. I do, however, prefer to use it with a Diamond RH77CA rubber duck.....

Frank

I'm leary of buying used ones. Got a bad one on eBay once. Fortunately I got a refund.

Thanks!

KD4UXQ

Birdies

Anyone know of birdies or intermod problems in the 118-144 and 225-400 range with the PRO-97? This is where I intend to use it the most in AM mode for civilian and military aviation.

Also some birdies are not able to be picked up without the antenna attached. What I mean to say is, they are received from inside the radio through the rubber duck antenna but not through a remote antenna. It is not correct that birdies only exist with the antenna off as many think. You can know thay are birdies if the antenna is near the radio and they are heard, but not heard if the antenna is away from the radio a few feet or more.

If they are heard with the antenna away from the radio thay are obviously not birdies and coming from some source other than the radio.

Any help with your experience having birdie or intermod problems in these bands would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Harold

KD4UXQ

Just tried one

Very disappointing. Desensitizes on an external antenna. Had to use Attenuator to receive weather channels. Receives intermod from a local FM station throughout 118-137 MHz. Audio loud but terrible audio frequency response.

Even with the birdies my BR330T is way better.

GRE has really flubbed on this one. Without the PL/DPL and Mil Air the PRO-95 I had was far better.

Sad!

FrankJ

Try to find a good condition PRO-43. They are hard to find, but much better Milair performance over the PRO-97. Sorry....mine isn't for sale yet!

KD4UXQ

FrankJ said:
Try to find a good condition PRO-43. They are hard to find, but much better Milair performance over the PRO-97. Sorry....mine isn't for sale yet!

Yep, been looking on eBay again.

Status
Not open for further replies.