Pro 97 "phantom" frequency and talk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlaizure

I monitor the Oklahoma state DPS Motorola trunked system (site 40). One frequency (868.9000) will pick up some talk groups with static only (1700, 17424, 17200, 17600) that are not supposed to be on site 40.

I have deleted the frequency 868.9000 and locked out all banks except the one I use for site 40. The talk groups still show up with static and the 868.9000 frequency even though I deleted it. Display says it is in channel 9 but when I step through the channels, channel 9 is the correct frequency and not 868.9000.

Since that didn't work, I added 868.9000 as a frequency and then locked it out. I also added the staticy talk groups and locked them out. Yet I still get the noisy talkgroups on 868.9000.

It's annoying and confusing. Any suggestions?

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
If you are working the control channel (CC), the 97 will automatically switch to the "right" voice channel (VC) even if locked out. It reads the frequency information from the CC and uses that data to attain the correct VC.
To stop these talkgroups (TG) you need to enter the TG's and then lock out the TG's, not the voice channel in each bank. The other method is to use the "Closed" mode instead of "Open" mode. Open mode is similar to searching and will light up all TG's unless the TG is entered in the list and already locked out in EACH bank.

For example local fire uses computer aided dispatch on TG 64805. When operating in Open mode I have to enter this TG and lock it out. If I operate in Closed mode and it is not in the list then the 97 skips it.

To change between Open and Closed Press MAN, then FUNC, then use up/down arrows to select the bank you wish to change then press FUNC then./DELAY. The LED will display Open or Closed to show you which one is active after your keypresses.

Does that make sense?
Doc W4EMS

SCPD

QRT
Could this system be in process of or have been re banded? And if that is the case it will be time to upgrade to newer model.Pro 97 is NOT re banding compliant

Last edited:

mciupa

doctree2 said:
use the "Closed" mode instead of "Open" mode.
Open mode is similar to searching and will light up all TG's unless the TG is entered in the list and already locked out in EACH bank.

This will solve your problem.
So for that bank only make sure it has a - over the bank number and not a +

Then you will have to make sure that all your scan lists have everything you need to listen to.

jlaizure

doctree2 and mciupa.......closing the bank did the trick.....thanks a ton....

AlabamaRS..... probably have another year before rebanding start......

Status
Not open for further replies.