pro-97 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_expatriate

Premium Subscriber
My pro-97 will scan, but seems not be receiving as it should. It also does not respond on occasion when pressing buttons on the key pad. And also sticks scanning a certain bank. Is it on its last legs? Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

mciupa

How is the elasticity of the key pad?
Do the keys stick when you depress them and then pop up later?
Could be that the pad is keeping a button pushed down.

the_expatriate

Premium Subscriber
No, elasticity problems with keypad. The buttons work fine. It is just that the unit doesn't respond for example if I press button 8 to enable bank 8 the scanner will make the beep noise as if that is not an option (the same noise as if you pressed the scan button while it is already scanning).

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-97

My pro-97 will scan, but seems not be receiving as it should.
Some common things that cause poor reception are: the wire from the antenna connector to the PCB inside the scanner has broken, you have the attenuator on for some or all channels, you have the global attenuator on.

What are you comparing your reception to? I have several different scanners here, so I can compare how well one brand/model performs compared to others. Is this poor reception on ALL frequencies? Or is it just in some bands? Or?

It also does not respond on occasion when pressing buttons on the key pad.
There are plenty of conditions when pressing certain buttons is an "unallowed" activation. If the scanner beeps when you are pressing a button, that tells me the button is working and the CPU is getting your request; but the beep means you are making a disallowed request.

And also sticks scanning a certain bank.
This can be very normal depending on how you have it programmed, and how you have the squelch adjusted. For example; I have one bank dedicate to CHP. They are on low band VHF. I have most channels programmed to require a CT. Since there is a lot of atmospheric noise in that band, the scanner takes longer to scan that bank than others. The same thing would happen on other channels that you require a CT/DC but have the squelch virtually open. Also, the time the '97 dwells on a trunking control channel can be affected with how you've programmed it.

Is it on its last legs?
I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.