PRO-97 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voltaire

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure you guys get this all the time, but I'm trying to program the frequencies for this:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=719

system into my PRO-97 scanner. Unfortunantly, I do not undestand, after repeated attempts, how to do so. I tried reading stuff online, but most of it seems to be based on a general understanding of all things trunking, which I do not have. I simply want to know if there is a way someone could step me through this programming?

Thank you!

EDIT:

So, I decided to just enter all the frequencies into the 5 channel bank. Then, I tried to enter talkgroups into the 9th id bank. but I keep having channels come up that just sound like garbled noise, very rarely is there actual voice. I am wondering if the scanner is just not capable of hearing those talkgroups?

Last edited:

flydream777

You should download the program called Win97, which has a free trial period, and buy a cable from radio shack for like $20. Programming the scanner via Win97 on the computer makes it SO MUCH EASIER!!!!! Well worth the money!

In the system you are trying to program, the Trenton Police and the Fire Marshall are on digital talk groups, so you can't hear them on the Pro-97. That might account for the weird sounds you are hearing on the scanner.

Wish I could help more, but please get the cable and the program. It really is worth it.

Voltaire

Premium Subscriber
Hmm. So when I'm scanning, and I pick up that garbled sound, that is probably a digital transmission that the 97 can't do but the 96 can? Because some channels which I try to monitor in the 800mhz range have various 5 digit ids at the bottom when they come up, and I can hear them. Usually, this garble channel will have the 5 digital id, but be completely garbeled.

I am assuming but, those 5 digit ids are talkgroup id's and pressing "trunk" will store them into a databank, correct?

The only real question if that is true then, is can I lock-out certain id's or does a digital system completely dissallow monitoring? Is there a mixed-mode, essentially.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
It could be you are hearing the digital vocoder transmissions.

This link may help explain VSELP. http://www.signalharbor.com/ttt/03feb/p25-part3.html

This comment in your first post is confusing. "So, I decided to just enter all the frequencies into the 5 channel bank. Then, I tried to enter talkgroups into the 9th id bank."

There is no 9th id bank. Banks 0 through 9 are scan banks and the talkgroups go into the 5 sub-banks of scan banks. Each scan bank can hold up to 100 frequencies (channels). Each sub-bank can hold up to 30 talkgroups for a total of 150 talkgroups per scan bank. However, the scan bank must be set to one of the trunking modes prior to entering talkgroups into the sub-bank. Follow the structions below for setting a system to trunking in any of the 10 scan banks.

Storing known trunked frequencies
1. Press MANual, Press three digits to get the bank and channel number desired then press MANual again.
(Upper left should read Mxxx for your bank and channel number)
2. Navigate to channel 1 if system is EDACS.
3. Press PGM, (upper left should change from M to P)
4. Press TRUNK
5. Press MODE until MOT is displayed.
6. Press PGM
7. Enter the frequency
8. Press Enter
9. If text is desired for the freq, Press TEXT. Use the numbered keys and text in up to 16 characters.
10. Press Enter
11. Repeat steps 6 through 10 until all frequencies (Control freqs only are required for Motorola systems) and text (if used) are entered in selected bank. If text are not used, skip step 9 and 10.

Storing known Talkgroup ID’s (in the same bank)
1. Press PGM
2. Press TRUNK
3. Enter the 5 digit DEC Motorola Id number
4. Press ENTER
5. Press TEXT
6. Using numbered keys, text in up to 16 characters.
7. Press ENTER
8. Press Up button
9. Repeat steps 3 through 8 until all are entered.

A 25 dollar cable from Radio Shack (20-047) and Win97 (also 25 bucks) from http://www.starrsoft.com/ will make programming much easier. It appears Mercer County public safety is also mostly digital but in another format.

Last edited:

Voltaire

Premium Subscriber
Sweet, thanks a lot. I got the cable and stuff, just need to find a p97 file for my area. One more thing, if I use a Pro-96(the digital model) would I be able to pick up trenton and mercer, except Ewing which apparently uses encryption?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Voltaire said:
Sweet, thanks a lot. I got the cable and stuff, just need to find a p97 file for my area. One more thing, if I use a Pro-96(the digital model) would I be able to pick up trenton and mercer, except Ewing which apparently uses encryption?
This note is found in the link (Trenton) provided in your first post.
Trenton uses the older VSELP Astro that is not APCO-25 compliant. Uniden's digital scanner will only receive APCO-25 compliant digital voice. Fire Dept and other users are in analog mode, but PD operations are in VSELP ASTRO Digital.

The RS scanners were not out yet, but this likely would include them regarding VSELP.

The 96/2096 will cover all unencrypted Com's in both Mercer county and Ewing. You will need Win96 www.starrsoft.com and cable 20-047 from Radio Shack to set the multi tables for Mercer 500 MHz system. The single table for Ewing 500 MHz can be set with the scanner key board or Win96.

SheltonFD911

Pro-97 Scanner - Programming Trunked Frequencies

I'm from Connecticut and I'm trying to program the State police trunked radio frequencies. I was looking for some insight on how to do that. I'm not quite sure how on to do it. I have the frequencies and the DEC (or ID number I guess).. If anyone could give me some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
SheltonFD911 said:
I'm from Connecticut and I'm trying to program the State police trunked radio frequencies. I was looking for some insight on how to do that. I'm not quite sure how on to do it. I have the frequencies and the DEC (or ID number I guess).. If anyone could give me some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum,

Sorry, the Pro-97 cannot receive the CSPD trunking system. They are on a digital APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive system. You will need a scanner capable of receiving digital 9600 baud Control Channel (CC). At this time scanners able to receive them are:
Handhelds
Pro-96
BC296
BC396
Base/Mobile
Pro-2096
BC796
BC996

If your scanner is less then 30 days old, Radio Shack will likely give you a refund and if over 30 days, they will likely give you full credit towards purchase of a Pro-96 or 2096.

jnbutler

Not getting it!

fmon, I followed your instructions for Motorola frequencies in Nashville Tn. but I get nothing but static when the scanner stops on a channel. It displays the VC+ and the message group ID but only stays on the channel for a sec each time like someone is just continually keying the mic. All of the frequencies are in the same bank set on MOT mode and each freq is set to MO mode.

Also, my manual stated that if you where programming Motorola system, you had to program fleet map sizes also. When I went through the steps in the manual, the radio stated to use code 15 for each block setting. Did that. Still not working.

Please help!

James Butler

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Welcome to the forum.

jnbutler said:
fmon, I followed your instructions for Motorola frequencies in Nashville Tn. but I get nothing but static when the scanner stops on a channel. It displays the VC+ and the message group ID but only stays on the channel for a sec each time like someone is just continually keying the mic. All of the frequencies are in the same bank set on MOT mode and each freq is set to MO mode.
Nashville is mostly digital according to this database page. http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=428 The Pro-97 will be garbled on any ID's which have a *D* under Mode. See listings in my previous post for scanners which can correctly monitor this system.

jnbutler said:
Also, my manual stated that if you where programming Motorola system, you had to program fleet map sizes also. When I went through the steps in the manual, the radio stated to use code 15 for each block setting. Did that. Still not working.
Fleet maps are only needed for Motorola Type I or Type IIi (hybrid) systems. Size Code 15 is scanner default (Type II) which you have correctly verified. However, Nashville is Type II and does not need any settings unless the bank was previously set with Type I or IIi size codes.

jnbutler

Thanks for the information fmon. You can see I'm a newbee at this and have been taken by Radio Shack and sold something I did not want. And, holy bucko's Batman! A Pro 96 is around $600!!! Geez!! Well, I can still use the Pro 97 for weather, aircraft, marine, and local police that are still analog.

My wife is planning to get me a Pro 96 for Christmas! Wish me luck!

James

N4JNW

Man if someone's trying to sell you a Pro-96 for 600 bucks, it best have a gold plated antenna, and diamonds for push buttons.

If you stick around the "For Sale" part of the forum, sometimes you can find a good used Pro-96 going for as little as $250 bucks! That is rare, but I have seen a couple sell for that, and boy let me tell you, they don't last long!

As far as your programming adventures, I'm sure others have posted, but I'll say again, GET THE RADIOSHACK CABLE & DON STARR'S SOFTWARE!!

I too have a Pro-97, and I swear to you man, that was the best $50 bucks I ever spent on my scanner. It makes programming painless. What took me 3 hours by hand before, took about 30 minutes and I was ready to rip!

There is also a cable and software for the Pro-96..

jnbutler

What the .....

Man I will not buy anything else from RS! They are priced too high. The Pro 96 has a list price of 499.99 and with the needed accessories it goes up to 600.00 or more depending on what you get. I will have to keep my eye on the forum here to see if I can get one at a reasonable price.

On the programming side of it, I love to actually learn how to manually program the scanner. Something about pushing all the buttons delites me. I'm a software programmer so I guess I like the geekyness of doing it manually. I will try out the programming software though, it sounds really interesting.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I love the forum where you can get advice from others in your realm of interest. A hundred heads are way better than one!

James

N4JNW

jnbutler said:
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I love the forum where you can get advice from others in your realm of interest. A hundred heads are way better than one!

James

That's what we're all here for... Ask anything you need an answer to.

Even though most of Nashville is digital, there' still lots of action you can tune in with your Pro-97. Here's an idea, Since you're getting a Pro-96 for Christmas, Keep your Pro-97 to use for everything that's NOT digital. Airports, Railroads, Military Air, Marine, They'res lots of stuff that isn't digital that is alot of fun to listen to. If you live in the city, scan for baby monitors.. Those are also loads of fun to listen to. The possibilites are endless..

Yeah, programming by hand is OK, but when you've got say, 5 or 600 frequencies to program in, the software is the shiznit. No way I'd try to tackle 500 frequencies by hand.. That's got carpal tunnel written all over it..

Have fun...

BTW- I love the Nashville area.. Me and a bunch of my good buddies used to go down there all the time. It gets pretty insane on Friday and Saturday nights..

villadrive

I assume a 20-289 cable (DB9 to audio) will work fine as well as the USB one, correct? I have one left over and rather than spend $25, I prefer to use what I've got if possible.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
villadrive said:
I assume a 20-289 cable (DB9 to audio) will work fine as well as the USB one, correct? I have one left over and rather than spend $25, I prefer to use what I've got if possible.
Yes, the 20-289 is fine, however, it's used on the PC/IF port on the Pro-97 - not audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.