Pro 97 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judongolfer

Hello

I'm new to scanning and just purchased a used Pro 97 scanner. Do I need to purchase the software to program this scanner? So far the only thing that comes in clear is the weather band. I have not been able to program any local channels. If I can get this scanner to work I would also like to purchase a antenna that will enable me to get reception from further away cities. Can someone tell me realistically how far away in miles should an indoor scanner antenna expect to receive?

I also would like to know if there are such things as scanning clubs where I could learn more about my scanner and scanning in general? I know they have ham radio clubs but do they use scanners too?

Thank You
Ron

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Hello

I'm new to scanning and just purchased a used Pro 97 scanner. Do I need to purchase the software to program this scanner?

No but programs like WIN97 mahe it easier to manage the frequencies in the radio

Can someone tell me realistically how far away in miles should an indoor scanner antenna expect to receive?[/

Depends on the transmiter power, antenna height, and terrain.Airplanes can be received from LONG distances due to height in air while traines are close to the ground and have a much shorter range.

I also would like to know if there are such things as scanning clubs where I could learn more about my scanner and scanning in general?

You have asked the question at what could be said is the largest scanner club in the country.

I know they have ham radio clubs but do they use scanners too?

Many Ham operators are also scanner users and can help with local information.

45SigSauer

As KC5EIB said, your at the ultimate site for any question you have. I use WIN-97 to program all my scanners, I have been using it for so long I don't know if I can remember how to program manually anymore. Where do you live and what do you want to monitor?

clydes

Thanks for the info on software. I also have Pro 97 w/discrim tap. I live near Alma, Ark in Ark river Valley. I pick up around 25 miles excepting mountains. Can anyone explain to a newbie like me how to program AWIN ? Thank you. KB5SVW

SCPD

QRT
AWIN Is APCO25 Digital. Pro 97 will NOT do digital
Also 97 will not do 700Mhz trunking

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-97 ....

I'm new to scanning and just purchased a used Pro 97 scanner.
Hello. Welcome to RadioReference.com. Great first scanner.

Do I need to purchase the software to program this scanner?
I programmed my first PRO-97 by hand after figuring everything out "on paper" first. I equate it to learning to drive on a stick shift. While automatics are nice, you never know what need will arise. But I use WIN97 to do all the heavy lifting. It comes with a 30 day free trial, but I just paid on day 1.

So far the only thing that comes in clear is the weather band. I have not been able to program any local channels.
Generally speaking Weather is the only thing programmed in it from the factory. Yeah there are 150 other channels programmed, but it is likely not a single one of them is used in your area. However, you can use the SEARCH function to find something active (instead of SCAN).

If I can get this scanner to work I would also like to purchase a antenna that will enable me to get reception from further away cities. Can someone tell me realistically how far away in miles should an indoor scanner antenna expect to receive?
Read this thread here.

I also would like to know if there are such things as scanning clubs where I could learn more about my scanner and scanning in general? I know they have ham radio clubs but do they use scanners too?
Yes there are, but it depends on where you are, and they are not the same as ham radio clubs. Regardless you'll learn more by reading articles and information from this site than you want to know. Check out the Wiki section. Start with info on your scanner and go from there.

clydes

Thanks to AlabamaRS. If a Pro97 won't get it then no sense wasting more time & money on doing the impossible. I have new Dell w/Windows 7. Sales people say Win97 is in process of getting a 64# compatible version of ARC 300. I checked at BuTel also. Thanks again. KB5SVW

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
Windblows 7 & Starrsoft Win97

I have been programming 95's, 97's & 164's on an Acer Lappy running Win7 ultimate 32 bit, for a few months now. I've got all the updates for the cord drivers as well. I'm using Don's Win97 program. The program uploads to the scanners pretty well, but occasionally trying to download what is in the scanner already, it locks up my puter. It applied the firmware update for my 164 flawlessly.
Problems are probably due to buggy USB drivers, the puter was set up for Vista, although I've had everything but Vista on it.

SCPD

QRT
I programmed my first PRO-97 by hand after figuring everything out "on paper" first.

I've had my PRO-97 for almost three years and have never felt the need for a software program. The Orange County (CA) TRS is only 75 frequencies and is a Motorola Hybrid system, so there's no channel sequencing that needs to be followed. It's fairly simple. And other trunked systems around here are fairly simple to program as well. It just depends where you live and how complicated your local systems are. If I had to give you any advice, I'd try programming by hand first if, for no other reason, you'll learn more about your scanner's capabilities through hands-on training.

Dave
KA6TJF

Last edited:

dosboot

Pro-97 over heating

This is what happens when a Pro-97 overheats while using the yellow battery holder.

Attachments

• DSCN3110.jpg
    DSCN3110.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 154
Status
Not open for further replies.