Pro 97 reception problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

judas12

I've had my PRO 97 for about 3 years now and it was great until a few months ago. The reception is starting to fade away on most of my frequencies. Maybe 90% of them. Anyone knows why?

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
I've had my PRO 97 for about 3 years now and it was great until a few months ago. The reception is starting to fade away on most of my frequencies. Maybe 90% of them. Anyone knows why?

I may have an simple answer, but before i answer, do you change antenna's alot, like do you switch from a mobile to a handheld to a base antenna or do you just keep the stock one.

if you change alot then there is a pin that is from the bnc antenna that goes to a board , and if you change alot, then it may have come loose and may be a reason why!

Don_Burke

I may have an simple answer, but before i answer, do you change antenna's alot, like do you switch from a mobile to a handheld to a base antenna or do you just keep the stock one.

if you change alot then there is a pin that is from the bnc antenna that goes to a board , and if you change alot, then it may have come loose and may be a reason why!
+1

The antenna jack wiggles a bit and the motion is carried through the solid wire that connects to the circuit board. There is only a slight "S" bend in the wire, which is not enough for the amount of flexing that the jack goes through and the connection at the circuit board breaks.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
+1

The antenna jack wiggles a bit and the motion is carried through the solid wire that connects to the circuit board. There is only a slight "S" bend in the wire, which is not enough for the amount of flexing that the jack goes through and the connection at the circuit board breaks.

Ahh Don I never thought of that one, yeah i forgot that that happens also! good call!

StatuSChecKa

So is the antenna bad? Or the antenna BNC socket? I swap out and play with my antennas (Twist them on and off) all the time. I guess I better stop it!

DickH

So is the antenna bad? Or the antenna BNC socket? I swap out and play with my antennas (Twist them on and off) all the time. I guess I better stop it!

No and No. The small solid wire that connects the BNC connector to the circuit board tends to break with the constant movement of the antenna and/or a loose BNC connector.
The best fix is to replace the solid wire with stranded wire so the flexing will not break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.