Pro-97 Rechargable Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I have a question, are the Targus rechargeable batteries a good brand of batteries for the Pro 97 scanner? I bough a pack of them plus charger from Target, but I was hoping they would be a good brand for the Pro-97 scanner. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks all and Happy New Year!

safetyobc

I use Duracell, Energizer and Sony Eneloop Rechargables. I like the Eneloop the best.

I am sure the Targus will work just fine.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Targus will work. Reviews appear mixed. I agree with safetyobc that Eneloop are best. They have great shelf life and hold a charge nicely. You can get 4 on ebay for ~$24.00 yet they will far outlast other brands.
I would recommend picking up a goor charger too. Makes a lot of difference in battery life.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use Duracell 2650mAh rechargeables in my Pro-97 (20-527). They seem to last forever. (At 2650mAh I would hope so) I don't think I've ever used the radio for enough continuous hours off of AC for them to drain, as I remember to plug it in. I use the same in a Grundig G5 portable shortwave radio that also charges the batteries. I don't use a separate charger though as both radios can charge.

I previously used some 1800mAh generic batteries, but I believe those would drain after some heavy use and not plugging in the radio to top them off. I think they got pretty old too.

Ultimately it comes down to usage and your battery power.
- Pro-97 Current Drain (Squelched) 90mA as per the manual, but I figure/guess 100mAh since the radio isn't always squelched, fortunately, and the issue of nominal power needs, where rechargeable don't fare as well near the end of the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.