PRO-97 scanner LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

idealdd

I have a PRO-97 scanner with a weak LCD display. Anyone have an idea as how to fix?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Had one come through the store about 3 weeks ago with the same problem. Radio was out of warranty and repair cost was about $60. If radio is less that 1 year old, repair will be covered by warranty.

idealdd

idealdd

I've already turned the contrast all the way up. The LCD is so weak that you have to really strain to see anything. I bought this unit on ebay, advertised as a new unit, however I don't have any idea when it was actually purchased as there was no receipt to go by. That'll teach me to buy from ebay!

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
OK then. It could be suffering the same ailment as the infamous PRO-2055. I had a PRO-97 once with a bad display. I disassembled it, found the ribbon cable for the display, slid it out of the connector, used a pencil eraser to clean the ribbon, and a matchbook cover to clean the connector. After reassembling everything, it worked like new. If you feel adventurous, give it a try.

idealdd

idealdd

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I've done that very procedure many times as an electronic technician for over 40 years.

idealdd

idealdd

Tried your suggestion about cleaning the ribbon cable with an eraser. The radio works fine now. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
You're welcome. And welcome to the forum. There's lotsa knowledgeable folks on here willing to share info.

Status
Not open for further replies.