PRO-97 squelch failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I am now experiencing the first "broken" scanner in my station in over 20 years of scanning.

My PRO-97 acts as though it has no squelch on any frequency in the 154-156 MHz range. It locks up on any channel in that freq range and blasts static from the speaker irrespective of squelch dial setting or whether or not a CTCSS tone or DCS code is programmed.

I'll be taking it to the Shack and having it sent for service. I'm posting here to see whether anyone else has had this problem, and to advise PRO-97 owners of a possible future issue. This is not a brand new scanner. I've had it for less than a year, but it's out of warranty.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
On the back cover of the manual the warranty is listed as one year. You should be covered unless you are not the original owner.

There is a known problem with volume/squelch pots in the PRO-97 but your problem description doesn't indicate that the pots are the cause.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Strange that the squelch would only be open in that frequency range. Can you give us the date code by chance?

Curious, did you use Win97 to upload to the 97?

D

DaveNF2G

The date code is 01A05.

I do use Win97 to program it, but I have not made any programming changes in about three weeks.

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the receipt for it.

D

DaveNF2G

At this point, I'll ask the moderator to lock this thread. It will serve no further purpose as far as informing scanner users about the PRO-97 after this posting.

The apparent problem with my PRO-97 began to make itself known among all of my other scanners, which gives you an idea of how often I get to turn them all on. :)

Naturally, "squelch failure" in every scanner made by two different manufacturers at the same time is statistically improbable. I was preparing to contact the FCC and report some sort of massive interference (we've been having cable leakage problems for years, but nothing like this), when I was moving some components around in the station and the interference suddenly went away!

It turns out that my LTR slicer, which requires 9VDC to operate, has been connected to a power source since the last time I used it. As soon as I unplugged it, my interference went away. Whenever I build any peripherals for my shack (I didn't build this slicer), I will have to remember the shielding.

jim293

If you bought it new I would think they would have it in there computer. I know when I go in there they have my name on file. Maybe it would have your purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.