Pro 97 Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septa3371CSX1

Sometime yesterday my Pro 97 stopped being able to trunk track and I was having trouble with some conventional frequencies. I was charging my scanner most of yesterday when I had a chance. I was using the standard duckie. I kept trying to adjust it to detect control channel noise on nearby systems but that reception was spotty. I never had this trouble before really. I got a new antenna today and I'm still getting the same troubles. I live in the Philadelphia, PA area. This is occuring on all trunked system types. In fact, I can't even pick up any kind of signal on the Sunshine Philadelphia VHF system with either antenna. Any idea what is happenning here?

n2mdk

First check to make sure global attenuation didn't somehow get turned on.
If that's not it then I would hazard a guess that the internal connection between BNC and the main board became broken.

SCPD

QRT
Also check BNC connector inside the radio, If antenna seems to be wobbly or loose
oops do as Jerri said hehee :)

Septa3371CSX1

Global Attentuator did NOT get turned on. The standard duckie is rather wobbly. The new one I got today (trying to figure out if it was perhaps an antenna problem) fits like a glove on it. It isn't wobbly at all but I still get the same trouble. I also opened up the case and everything in there looked normal. I didn't move any logic boards though since I don't want to damage it more if it already is broke. Any more ideas?

Septa3371CSX1

Most of the conventional channels work fine. It's mainly the trunkers that are troubling me. Since I don't have any computer cable and software, that would be rather tedious to delete everything and restore it since I got so much in there (hey, 1000 channels and I do take advantage of that).

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Might have missed this but have you checked to see if -
1: The bank might have been changed to another type of system MO, ED, LT, or CONV?
2: Some of the control channels have been locked out?
3: Come of the control channels have been changed to another mode?
4: The system has added another channel that is not programed into radio?

Septa3371CSX1

No, none of those are the problem. I'm also having trouble receiving conventional frequencies. I think the best way I can put it is that you have to see it in order to diagnose it.

N8IAA

You are aware that state of PA is OpenSky(not able to be scanned), Philadelphia is P-25 digital. What systems are you trying to monitor? The 97 will not decode digital. Have you taken out the rechargable batteries and used alkalines? Have you re-initialized the radio and put in the freqs again? It is much safer to recharge the batteries out of the radio. Heat does strange things to electronics.
Larry

Septa3371CSX1

I do charge the batteries in the scanner. All the trunk systems in my scanner are monitorable with a Pro 97. The only control channel I've been able to pick up somewhat lately is the Lower Merion EDACS system control channel. I will try to re initialize afetr I see if anyone else gives any further suggestions.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Can you pick up the NOAA channels when you push the WX key? If not, the wire connecting the antenna jack to the circuit board has most likely broken. If the radio is less than 1 year old, it is under warranty. Have your local store send it in. RS repair will check it and make sure it is adjusted for maximum performance.

N8IAA

Septa3371CSX1 said:
I should mention I got this scanner for Christmas.
Then take the radio back to RS. Be very explicit about the receive problem with the radio. You just might get a new one instead of sending it to repair.
Larry

Septa3371CSX1

Took a closer look inside the scanner. I noticed a connection to the antenna appears to be broke. I'm thinking this may be the cause of the poor reception I'm getting. Trunk System Control Channels are only coming in at random spots in my room here and I'm unable to trunktrack. The connection I'm referring to is at the base of the antenna and may be the result of the antenna being pushed down a lot. I often carried the scanner in my backpack with the antenna attached. This may be what caused the break to occur. I plan on taking this to the Shack possibly later today and see what they say.

Septa3371CSX1

Photos to Help Diagnose Problem

I took a few pictures of the area I believe the problem is occuring at. After checking with other pics of the inside I had, I can confirm the problem was not there before.

Miscellaneous354.jpg

The problem is at the bottom of the antenna base. It appears to be disconnected. I tried pushing it up but to no avail (and I don't wish to damage the scanner to the point where Radio Shack won't repair it). In the photo below I have circled in red the problem I'm referring to so you don't have to search for it.

Miscellaneous354_circled.jpg

Hopefully this will help in the diagnosis of the problem. If it is possible to fix it myself I will try out suggestions. Otherwise I will take it to the Shack and have it either sent in for repair or exchange it for a new one.

One tangent quesiton, would Radio Shack clone the data from my scanner to the replacement scanner so I don't have to start from scratch or is that not something they would do?

N8IAA

Do you not have Win97 and a cable to save what you have? You can get a 30 day free trial from http://www.starrsoft.com
Download to the software, and it is saved. Then, when the radio comes back, you can upload the file back to the radio. I do believe, however, that repair will save your contents if sent in. Most RS's will clone your radio if you get a new one.
Larry

Septa3371CSX1

Nope, don't have the cable or software.:-( I'm hoping not to have to spend more money than I have to on getting this scanner working properly. The only channels that come in clear are the ones near me and the Weather Band.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Cloning the radio is easy, Use stereo mini plug audio cable between PC/IF connectors on side of radio. On the original radio, press and release the up arrow key then the press and release the "1" key. Watch display. When clone program has ended, unplug the cable. New scanner will be programed like the old scanner.

As for the antenna connector, the connection you are looking at is the ground. Look for the center connector on the antenna jack. This will be where the proble should be.

Last edited:

Septa3371CSX1

Went to the Shack today. Told them what was wrong and they will send it for repairs first thing tomorrow (Monday) morning. Repairs should take about a week. If they can't fix it I'll either get a new scanner or a gift card good towards the purchase of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.