Pro-97 Weather Alert...

Status
Not open for further replies.

intrepid97

I have the Pro-97 and I entered the correct FIPS codes for my area and tuned to the correct frequency to be able to hear the alerts when the scanner is in the SAME STANDBY mode.

For some reason I am not getting any alerts,NADA,Nothing,Zilch.

When I take it out of the standby I can hear the weather channels just fine,Any ideas as to why the alerts are not coming through?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

red8

I GUESS IF YOU PUT YOUR PRO 97 ON STANDBY WITH YOUR FIPS
ENTERED YOU WILL NOT HEAR ANYTHING UNTIL THE ALERT OF SEVERE WEATHER IN OTHER WORDS STANDBY MEANS JUST THAT
THE RADIO IS STANDINGBY UNTIL IT PICKS UP THE ALERT FOR THE AREA FROM THE NWS
red 8

intrepid97

Red8,Yes I know that,We have had several alerts and I have yet to hear a single one.

I called RS and they had no clue what could be wrong and said I may need to send it in to have it repaired.

Looks like I will just have to live with it,Or send it in :)

D

DaveNF2G

Are you certain that weather alerts were issued that included those counties? Do you have another weather alert radio that is alerting when the PRO-97 is not?

intrepid97

I am positive we had weather alerts,I am also a member of SKYWARN in my area and talk to the NWS in St.Louis when there is really bad weather in my area.

I dont have another weather alert radio,I wish I did,But they did isuuse alerts and quite a few of them in my area.

I think it is something with the scanner itself not picking up the alerts.

dougjgray

I have the same problem in the Denver area. And I entered the codes for all the counties surrounding Denver. I can here tornado warnings and flash flood warning on tv and my 97 doesnt get them. Maybe Noaa only broadcast the once and if you miss it your sucked up to Kansas to see the wizard.

DanHenry

Did you enter leading zero in code?

Intrepid97,

I have a PRO-97 with FIPS codes loaded, however I normally use a dedicated wx radio for alerts. I just finished some troubleshooting here to see if I could duplicate your problem.

Did you use Win97 to load the FIPS codes?
The leading zero in the codes is required and they must be six digits long as you have them above. When entering the codes by hand on the PRO-97 it does error checking and will not accept codes less than six digits.

I just tested it with Win97. Win97 will accept invalid five digit codes, upload them to the scanner (without any errors), and when read back from the scanner they still show as invalid five digits codes.

The other thing I tried was locking out all entered FIPS codes entered. When I tried that the scanner just defaults to all codes.

I have NOT verified that SAME works properly on my PRO-97 but haven't heard any other complaints about SAME on the PRO-97.

Good luck,

-Dan

rs96

On my Pro-96 if you'r in the scan mode you will not hear the alerts. You have to be in standby for the weather Ch. to hear alerts

intrepid97

It was in STANDBY,I have exhausted all options before I posted as I am pretty well certain it is not anything I am doing :)

rpowley

I hope you get the problem resolved soon, it's a great feature - Have you done a weather alert test by holding down the WX button for a couple of seconds while standby is active? Have you tried receiving the 1050Hz tone using the WX channel as priority while normal scanning? You might try running in standby with no FIPS codes programmed.

intrepid97

Rpowley,I did do the test alerts and they did work :)

I also tried the no codes,Well,It says ALL,But I did try it with and without the codes,Same result.

I will try te Priority option as I have yet to try it in that mode,I will report back if it does work or does not work.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful and very thorough replies :)

Smith29180

Try setting your weather channel to be your priority channel. I was having the same problems till I did this and now it works as it is suppose too. HTH Ron

YFZBOB

intrepid97 said:
It was in STANDBY,I have exhausted all options before I posted as I am pretty well certain it is not anything I am doing :)

My Turn... Code isn't Locked Out in the WIN97 program or scanner?

intrepid97

***It is now working***

I have discovered that it does not like the Hillsboro,Il tower for some reason lol

I monitor St.Louis and the alerts works just fine.

Already heard a couple of tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings.

Thanks a million for all of the responses!! :)

YFZBOB

AWESOME!!! Now I wished they would come out with an "Earth Quake ALERT" Now that would be COOL!!!!

Did you feel that?

Status
Not open for further replies.