Pro-97, what's with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb911

I've had my 97 for many years. Just for the heck of it, I manually stopped on a non-trunked frequency (VHF) and pressed [mode] searching for a CTCSS. I wondered what would happen if I scrolled through the various modes while receiving a transmission. CT> DC> MOT > ED> LTR. Of course I could still receive the transmissions. After pressing LTR (or DC in VHF low) I'd be back to a blank screen in the mode display and assumed that I was back to the default FM mode.

But.. instead the audio became weak and distorted until I would press the mode key one more time. On some already weak signals the radio would go silent. Makes me wonder what I may have been missing all these years by not giving the mode key that extra push.

Redneck0410

I think it may have been AM?... I had a somewhat similar scanner to that years ago and I seem to remember it did AM.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bb911

I think it may have been AM?... I had a somewhat similar scanner to that years ago and I seem to remember it did AM.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That's what I first thought, because that is what it sounds like -- yet why wouldn't the screen show "AM" in the mode search area. Seems that it remains in that mode after I resume scanning. Maybe I should program the radio incorrectly from the software and see what it does. (Some FM freqs as AM ones).

bb911

even under manual, if you change it to AM it is now set to AM.
Yeh, I understand that when you actually are programming a freq., but I'm just doing mode searches for PLs (CT) and DCs, and the radio forces me to step through the various other "modes" to get back to the no mode search.

That's the problem though -- FM and AM don't show up as modes in the mode search.

bb911

but do you mean in the limit search ?
No, just searching for the PLs or DCs on a given freq. . MOT, DC and LTR, display "none", which makes perfect sense. Why it doesn't display AM:none, for AM freqs apparently causes the problem.

bb911

AM does not use pl or dc.
I know, which is apparently why there's no AM code search. But the radio should show that the radio is in AM code search mode so one can hit the key one more time to get back to CT. Which brings us full circle back to the beginning of the thread.

bb911

look for a very wordy personal message.
Problem solved by wtp. I was so busy watching the lower left corner of the display, where the codes are displayed, that I wasn't paying attention to the type of transmission in the first line of the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.