pro-97

Status
Not open for further replies.

kebova1

I recently got a pro-97 radio given to me by a friend and have been reading forums etc for a few hours on how to program it. i think I've come to the conclusion that its useless since it cant be rebanded and it looks like va has been rebanded. Is this correct? if this is correct and i was looking for a good radio to use from home to monitor local fire/ems/police (appomattox/campbell county) what would you recommend to someone just starting out in this hobby?

K9DUO

That radio is not capable of being updated for the rebanding. And I dont think it is digital capable either. Will only monitor conventional channels and analog trunked systems.

gcgrotz

I have a PRO 97 and I have it loaded with air traffic freqs including a ton of military UHF air. Not a lot of scanners cover that range well. Put in the local Ham repeaters too, and weather.

Welcome to RR!

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Although the 97 will not receive digital transmissions it will monitor VHF, UHF as well as non-digital 800 MHz frequencies. Campbell and Appomattax Virginia look to be still using non-digital system so before you toss the radio, check out the RR database. Otherwise used digital Uniden radios such as the 996XT start on eBay at around $400 and will work in about 99% of Virginia. There our other digital radio brands and types and opinions vary which are the best ones. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask anyone.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
All depends on what you are willing to spend and how much work you want to put into programming it exactly how you want. The easiest way would be to go with a GRE PSR-800. The 396XT by Uniden is another good scanner as is the Pro-106 and its GRE Cousin the PSR-500. I am not sure where you live at in VA but if you are wanting to listen to a decent size city (most all are digital) or the VSP on STARS you will need digital. I have a Pro-97 and basically I just use it for monitoring a few analog conventional freqs.

Edit: I just read what area you are in. For the basic stuff in your area you are fine with a 97 but if you want to listen to VSP on STARS or you plan on traveling with it then you will need to go digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.