Pro scanner info

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDLT

Premium Subscriber
I'm a long time scanner enthusiast but I haven't paid any attention to the boards or newsgroups for several years. I've had a Pro 90 for several years that I listen to mainly local fire , PD and weather inf in the storm season. My Pro 90 was knocked off the shelf a few days ago and now the speaker sounds as if it cracked and is very Tinny sounding and so I need to replace it.
Our city/county is on the state of Ks trunked system and the Hwy patrol is already merging to digital.Our city/county is currently readying for the digital transition and that will probably be accomplished in 2-4 years and the talk is that we will probably go Motorola again.
My first thought was to go ahead and buy a digital scanner in preparation of the upcoming transition until I saw the 499. price for the Pro 106. I have two kids in college and the Fire dept doesn't pay enough for all of the toys I Really want.
Questions:
Does the Pro 106 ever go on sale below $499. ?
If I go ahead and spring for the Pro 106 will it cover whatever digital system we might go with?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated and please offer any tips and suggestions.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Welcome to (or back to) Radioreference FDLT!

The Statewide Trunked system in your area is Project 25 digital. You can see the system information in the database here: Kansas Statewide Interoperable Communication System (KSICS) Trunking System, Statewide, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies However it looks like Shawnee county still uses many conventional channels and an analog Motorola Type II trunked system.Shawnee County, Kansas (KS) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Topeka / Shawnee County Trunking System, Topeka, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies

This is good news for your budget. You may want to look into the new analog PRO-107 that is currently on sale for $179.99 RadioShack® PRO-107 Handheld iScan Trunking Scanner - RadioShack.com

This includes all the frequencies in the US database on an internal SD card. All you need to do is browse to your state/county/agency and import the database into a "playlist".

Check it out in the Wiki here: Pro-107 - The RadioReference Wiki

It's in stock in your area if you want to check it out at your local RadioShack.

Last edited:

Astrak

Just remember the 107 is not a digital capable scanner. If you want digital check out eBay sometimes you can find a good deal on a digital scanner.

FDLT

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies,
Analog will get me by now and the 107 would make a nice under the tree gift for me. BUT , looking a couple of years down the road and we will be digital and that is why I am considering the digital model. I would have to talk REAL NICE to the wife for $500. during Christmas. LOL

sjlamb

Thanks for the replies,
Analog will get me by now and the 107 would make a nice under the tree gift for me. BUT , looking a couple of years down the road and we will be digital and that is why I am considering the digital model. I would have to talk REAL NICE to the wife for $500. during Christmas. LOL

Start schmoozing then. My concern for you would be laying out nearly $200 now for a radio that you already know will not serve your needs in only a couple of years.

While the digital models are considerably more expensive; they won't become a brick for you in a few years. Not sure that an analog radio is a good investment in your case. In the long run; you would end up spending more than if you just bit the bullet now. Giddyup!!

Last edited:

RadioDaze

Does the Pro 106 ever go on sale below $499.

Yes it does; every 2 or 3 months, it goes on sale for about $399. Hate to tell you, but you just missed it. But maybe it will again after the holidays or shortly into the new year. For $399 you can be 80% of real nice to the wife. Or buy it, come home, and announce, "Hey Honey! I saved a hundred dollars today!"

They love that.

FDLT

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the replies, I've decided on the pro 107 and going digital. sjlamb your advice on spending 200 and having to buy again in a couple of years is sound advice and the "schmoozing" advice works because the wife said to go ahead when the price drops.
I hate to sound like I have a leash on but two kids in college puts a grip on the budget. My plan is to have them leave school with no debt.
Be ready with more advice when I get my Pro 107.
Merry Christmas

RadioDaze

Hey, I only have a girlfriend, but I still have to be sneaky with my radio purchases.

So, what is your decision: Pro-107 (non-digital) now or wait for Pro-106 (digital) to drop in price and buy that? Or both? I couldn't quite tell from the way your answer is worded.

If non-digital now, maybe in a couple of years the price will drop a bit in general on digital models. Or at least you could buy a used Pro-106 (or its successor) for a discount.

lscroggs

E-Bay

I just picked up a new PRO 106 on E-Bay for $330. You can probably get a slightly used one for less if you wait until January when some of the people who got one for Christmas give up on trying to use it. (grin)

Larry

FDLT

Premium Subscriber
Whoops/ correction.

I need to get my models right. I meant the Pro 106 not the 107. In fact just a few minutes ago the wife said to go ahead and get it and have it for Christmas but I think I will wait for the price to come down.
Frugal Dad... LOL

Just remember the 107 is not a digital capable scanner. If you want digital check out eBay sometimes you can find a good deal on a digital scanner.

Awesome deals on Pro96's,get lucky n you score one for 200-300 shipped with an 800meg ant,maybe a wall wart too..

i bagged a pro 106,340 bucks,buy now.with a nice softcase,OEM service data CD,manuals,everything but the box..
patience and diligence will save you cash n get you more for your money!

Good Luck Hunting and Welcome to the Wonderful World of Digital Scanning!

I need to get my models right. I meant the Pro 106 not the 107. In fact just a few minutes ago the wife said to go ahead and get it and have it for Christmas but I think I will wait for the price to come down.
Frugal Dad... LOL

Very Cool,,Your not going to be disappointed with the 106.
The Win500 Software makes it a snap to program.Free Trial
can be DLd at the site..

Congrats n Merry Merry XMas!

jamesa53

Frugal Dad... LOL

Believe me you will NOT be disappointed.....this scanner is awesome!!!! It is a high price but will serve you for many years to come.

FDLT

Premium Subscriber
Bought it

The wife felt sorry for me Christmas eve and said you really need to go get that scanner you want. So I drove a few miles in a blizzard and bought the 106. The guy at the RS was real helpful and he programmed it using "Scancat" which he also suggested and gave me a link.
What does everyone here use for programing software?

I haven't had much time to use it yet since my day has been filled with cooking, eating and running the snow blower. I'm on duty tomorrow and hopefully Sunday I will have some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.