Pro-Voice ESK ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadillo5

Premium Subscriber
I was reading some place about how you can monitor a Pro-Voice system using a computer, etc. I was wondering what it takes to monitor a system like this given that a 396XT ONLY goes so far in monitoring?
Or maybe I mis-read that thread and really you cannot??

Someone mentioned something about how you can listen but it is expensive and I am not really looking for a Pro-Voice radio as the means to the solution in listening to this type of system.

Anyway, I have been to Abilene a few times and listened using my 396XT on the fire side of things but thought about the PD side of things as well.

Any help is appreciated.

scanaholic

Wow. Guess all we need is an Icom and a rocket scientist to put it all together. I'm an electronics dummy in case I didn't mention. :) How expen$ive is all this if a person could locate the right radio and an electronics genius to convert it?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
$1000 or so for the radio, $1000 or so for the parts. I don't know of any of the "third party" software that will trunktrack, so I'd imagine a few more grand for development of that if it's possible.

davidbond21

$1000 or so for the radio, $1000 or so for the parts. I don't know of any of the "third party" software that will trunktrack, so I'd imagine a few more grand for development of that if it's possible.

UniTrunker does it for free. But you're not too far off in terms of expenses, though a little on the low side of what I would say if collecting the equipment from scratch over time finding internet bargains where you can realistically between $2000-3000. If you only need to listen to a non-ESK system though, then it's only a matter of buying a ProVoice radio, and somebody programming it for receive only. Still a lot though.

tj20

Umm. Think I'll just be content with my buses, trash trucks and area s.o.'s and VFD's not on P25 yet... and TV news.

I hope you are not talking about getting information from our local snooze. Did anyone catch the "eye opening" report about men meeting up with other men in our local parks? OH NO!!!!!!!!!
The story shown on the news was nothing buy hearsay with no evidence to back up anything they said in the teaser. Anyways back on topic:

It would be nice to be able to listen to APD again, but I do wonder if they encrypted anything because of 9/11. September 11 was one of the reasons they felt they needed to not be monitored. At least that is what was said on the news.

scanaholic

What gets me is the fact their old system had scramble capabilities. Any time they wanted to keep something secret, they would put on the "hash" sound, and nothing around could get it. I don't know why they want routine traffic stops, or drunk & disorderly calls kept top secret IOW, all of it. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.