pro162 v pro107

Status
Not open for further replies.

himelrick

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a chance to compare these two.? I have the pro-162 and was wondering if there was a big enough difference between them to sell the 162 and get the 107.thanks

?

himelrick

pro-162 v pro 107

I have read both of them, but was hoping to get someones personal experience that has used both units.thank you for your reply

Benzman66

I have owned 2 of the 162s in the past, and I just programmed one of my friends new 107 the other day. I am into the digital thing right now, and that was the only reason I sold off my 162s. They were great scanners, had a lot of features for the price. While the 107 is a nice scanner, has a lot to offer, it just isn't me. I still like to be able to push the buttons to program the scanner like the old days.
Both models pretty much offer the same features, it just boils down to programming preference and size of scanner.

Unless you are into gadgets and new fangled things, stick with the 162.

Last edited:

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I have the Pro-162 and it has 25 keys which I feel makes it so much easier to operate. I have had many scanners and wideband receivers and the Pro-162 has one of the best displays. Nice large alphanumeric characters with six lines of information. The Pro-107 is interesting and innovating but I would take the wait and see for now.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Since I actually own both scanners, perhaps I can answer your question with something other than speculation... ;)

The 162 (I have 2 and gave another away) blows the 107 (I have 1) away when it comes to the display, but I have never been a fan of the GRE-style displays, even though the majority of my scanners are RS or GRE. The 107 is dead simple to operate, and given the target market there is little learning curve to speak of. And you save a few bucks not having to buy programming software.

Performance wise, I would give the edge to the 162, but only slightly. Sensitivity seems to be about equal, but my local systems are strong anyway, and I do not use my handhelds to attempt to listen to EDACS systems 60 miles distant.

Both are *great* scanners, and entirely different.

The 107 is smaller, lighter, and great to stick in your pocket when wandering about town. I would think if you travel much, it would be a no-brainer in choosing the 107, given it's ease of programming. My old ears tell me the 162 sounds a little better when in your pocket, but an external speaker seems to equal them out.

If I had to pick only one, I would probably stick with the 162, but I am old-skool, and also the last 162 I bought was a practically new in the box from eBay for $75. My 80 year old father is having a blast with the 107 I gave him, and my kids seem to prefer snatching the 107 up when they want to listen in.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
PRO-162

Motorola Type I
Motorola Type II
Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
Motorola Type II Smartnet
Motorola Type II Smartzone
Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
EDACS Standard (Wide)
EDACS Standard Networked
LTR Standard

PRO-107

Motorola Type I
Motorola Type II
Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
Motorola Type II Smartnet
Motorola Type II Smartzone
Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
EDACS Standard (Wide)
EDACS Standard Networked
EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
EDACS Narrowband Networked
EDACS SCAT
EDACS ESK (Non-ProVoice)
LTR Standard

First picture; PRO-162, second picture; PRO-107:

Last edited:

himelrick

pro-162 v pro107

thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.I think I will stay with the 162 as I also have the pro-160 and truthfully I really like both of them .may look at a digital next year,by then there will proably be some more improvements to the scanners,it seems the technology is jumping at a very fast pace.have a good night everyone and thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.