pro197 on clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsthawk2

Premium Subscriber
Pro 197

Up here in Birmingham for reserve duty when I saw this. Made a couple of calls and found 1 in Tuscaloosa $85.00. Well worth the 1 hour drive!

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
what is the radio shack part number for the pro 197? an earlier post mentioned 200-0197 but on an ebay ad I noticed on the RD box 20-197. I want to call the RS stores but need the correct RS number.
Thanks.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
what is the radio shack part number for the pro 197? an earlier post mentioned 200-0197 but on an ebay ad I noticed on the RD box 20-197. I want to call the RS stores but need the correct RS number.
Thanks.

20-197 or 2000197.

DJ11DLN

My 197 is up and running. When I called the local RS, they claimed "not" to have the programming cable, despite the website showing it was in stock there (though not at other ones in the area). Before ordering it, I stopped in after work and lo and behold, they had 3 of 'em. It is not quite right yet but between the butel app that came with the cable and a trial of Win 500, I have it working and will refine things over the weekend. And I'll be sending DonS his just due...Win 500 is head and shoulders above the other app.

Looking for a Pro-106 (or 2 or 3) now...thanks again DaveIN for the internal part #'s!

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I was able to find one at the Radio Shack in Wayesboro, VA. It was their last one. Picked it up this morning. Out the door for $92.11 after tax.

Wthom100

Found a pro-197 after having Radio Shack person do a inventory search in district stores using the p/n (200-0197). They first tried to tell me it was $299 price. I kept saying are you sure, are you sure - RS person kept saying yes - that's the clearance price. I said no way - sorry - not paying that.

I called back several hours later to see if I could get a different person - I was able to. Told her to scan it at the register - came-up as $85.47. They held it for me and picked-it up this a.m.

Pretty good deal - new in box:

Price: $85.47
Tax: $5.13
Coupon: $10 off
Total Cost $80.60

Keep looking - Wthom100

2manytoyz1

Found one but $225

Their computer shows it as $225 on sale. He couldn't go any lower. The manager was unsure how other stores are selling for $85 or $87. His database shows the $225 as the lowest price that it has ever been offered. Said the only way he knew they could offer a lower price was if the store was closing and dumping all inventory. Oh well, missed another deal. Story of my life. This was the only store with one left.

mainetrunk

Fudge! Fudge! Fudge! I keep forgetting to go to my local R-S to check it out. Reason being, it is right next door to Market Basket. I stopped going there after the 1st sign of problems--thus not going near R-S. GOTTA go look

wise871

Database Admin
You have to make sure they scan it. For some reason just looking it up on there computer shows a higher price but when it scans it shows lower price. I was fortunate and all my local stores have the clearance tags price right on the shelf.

2manytoyz1

I actually pulled up this forum on my iPhone during my visit to RS. I suggested that he try scanning the box instead, he claimed that the price on his computer was from him scanning the barcode. Honestly, I didn't see whether he punched in the number, or scanned the box. Short of calling him a liar, I had no cards to play.

I didn't need this scanner, but at $87, too good to pass up. But at $225, just walked away. Maybe next time...

Boatanchor

Dumping

It's kind of funny really. RS potentially saturating the relatively small scanner market with $100 PRO-197's and BCD996XT's.

Can you imagine what Uniden and Whistler must be thinking at the moment?

They must be livid :)

With Uniden struggling to sell their new high end digital scanner after a severe consumer backlash over missing features and questionable design choices and Whistler trying to sell it's 'new' scanners, the last thing either company needs right now is R.S dumping digital scanners into the small market at ridiculous prices.

And, we all know that a large number of those sub $100 scanners are going to end up on ebay or resold elsewhere where the sellers stand to gain a nice 200% profit on their investment.

RS is going down and it looks like they are taking others down with them..

Once the existing RS scanner stock is liquidated, it's hard to see how either manufacturer could continue to supply RS with new product going into the future.

wise871

Database Admin
Selling your $85 New in Box Pro197 for 200% ($170) is still a hell of a deal for someone looking for a digital scanner. I think most of those that were snatched up were mainly RR members looking for an additional digital scanner. As we say, you can never have too many scanners.

I do agree, why by the new Whistler for $399 when someone can get the identical Pro-197 for under $100. As far as the 996XT, they are still consider the flagship @ $400+. Members who were holding off from buying a second 996XT scanner now have the option to get that second scanner.

If you noticed the HP-1 and the 396XT still remain at higher prices. I was told the handhelds sale more than the base/mobile.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Selling your $85 New in Box Pro197 for 200% ($170) is still a hell of a deal for someone looking for a digital scanner. I think most of those that were snatched up were mainly RR members looking for an additional digital scanner. As we say, you can never have too many scanners.

I do agree, why by the new Whistler for $399 when someone can get the identical Pro-197 for under $100.

It's hardly a nationwide sale - just a writedown of unsold inventory and restricted to various stores. I don't think it will make a dent in Whistlers bottom line and besides, they know their are plenty of idiots willing to pay full retail pricing for their scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.