pro197 on clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
For anyone in the vicinity of Richmond, VA, the stores at Southpark Mall and Dimmock Square Shopping Center in Colonial Heights supposedly had one PRO-197 at each store, as of Wednesday evening. That's according to the RS inventory system. The information came from a helpful associate at the Fredericksburg Central Park store, who volunteered to search the system when her store didn't have one. I decided the Colonial Heights stores are too far out of my way. I can't absolutely guarantee the price, since as far as the associate knew, the price was $299. Unless you live really close, I would recommend calling the store first.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
For anyone in the vicinity of Richmond, VA, the stores at Southpark Mall and Dimmock Square Shopping Center in Colonial Heights supposedly had one PRO-197 at each store, as of Wednesday evening. That's according to the RS inventory system. The information came from a helpful associate at the Fredericksburg Central Park store, who volunteered to search the system when her store didn't have one. I decided the Colonial Heights stores are too far out of my way. I can't absolutely guarantee the price, since as far as the associate knew, the price was $299. Unless you live really close, I would recommend calling the store first.

Hey, Mike...

I was in the Richmond area the other day and checked inventory in the area, as well Charlottesville. I was able to find one in Charlottesville and one in Chesterfield. However the prices were at least $175 on both. Still a great deal, but not the steal like the $87 deal.

Someone previously suggested the bottom prices were at stores they are reducing inventory prior to a store closing. I am wondering if this is true since the mixed results in pricing. I was able to pick one up for about $87 in Waynesboro.

fredva

Feed Provider
Hey, Mike...

I was in the Richmond area the other day and checked inventory in the area, as well Charlottesville. I was able to find one in Charlottesville and one in Chesterfield. However the prices were at least $175 on both. Still a great deal, but not the steal like the $87 deal.

Someone previously suggested the bottom prices were at stores they are reducing inventory prior to a store closing. I am wondering if this is true since the mixed results in pricing. I was able to pick one up for about $87 in Waynesboro.

Todd, thanks for sharing that info.

N7YUO

I phoned a RS store in Davis County, UT. The nearest store in their district with a 20-197 scanner was in Boise, ID. However, one store in the Salt Lake District had one.
I went there, didn't see one, so I said "another RS informed me this store had a 20-197." He checked his inventory and said "one just arrived." "I said Radioreference says they're being clearanced." He checked the price. "$65.00 that's definitely a clearance price!" "SOLD!!!"

DJ11DLN

I phoned a RS store in Davis County, UT. The nearest store in their district with a 20-197 scanner was in Boise, ID. However, one store in the Salt Lake District had one.
I went there, didn't see one, so I said "another RS informed me this store had a 20-197." He checked his inventory and said "one just arrived." "I said Radioreference says they're being clearanced." He checked the price. "$65.00 that's definitely a clearance price!" "SOLD!!!"

Great find, congrats!

unique_username

Premium Subscriber

Awesome - I'm loving mine so far. Only issue I'm having is that, occasionally, the unit will completely reset to factory new when updating it via Win500. It's not that big of an issue, as I've got all of my files saved and can just reload them, but it is a bit of a hassle.

trp2525

Is there any software update i need to do on the operating system?

This is off-topic for this thread but you should check your PRO-197 to see if it has the latest DSP version 1.4 and the latest CPU version 2.1. If it does not, you can download the latest versions from the Radio Shack website.

Further information on installation of these updates can be found in these Radio Reference threads: http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/230650-pro-106-197-cpu-2-0-released.html and http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...787-pro-106-197-cpu-1-8-dsp-1-4-released.html

imbruski

I found 1 pro197 at clearance price in Davenport, IA. The manager at the store in Davenport said he wou2ld transfer the radio to a store in Des Moines, done deal right. WRONG store in Des Moines would not honor the clearance price the Davenport store offered. Now, either I drive 200 miles or I forget it. I may now have an idea of what's wrong with the shack.
Bruce

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Try buying a RS Gift card and sending the info to the store that has the unit and then they might ship. Before you do this call the manager of the store with the radio and see if he is on board.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I pressed my luck and checked with other area RS to see if they had any further clearance scanners in stock, or if they were able to look them up. No luck on the Pro-106, and the Pro-197 continues to show up as $299 in the computer system. FWIW, apparently the units need to be in the same "district" as your local RS to be sent to your local store.

mainetrunk

I just got off the phone with my local R-S's.. Theres 1 in revere mass, now.. code 20-197. I can't get that 1 cause of distance, so someone else want's, thats what i was JUST told, GOOD LUCK..

methusaleh

I just grabbed the last one in my area, and the store closer to me would NOT ship it there, I had to drive a little farther to the store where the scanner was.

$77 + tax as some have reported above.

Not sure if I should put this on a shelf somewhere or sell it, I already have two 197s in operation and they are fine....

trp2525

Why do people still go to ratshack.

I still find them very handy when I need audio/video/RF connectors, adapters, miniature bulbs, etc. for when I'm repairing something or completing a project. While most of the employees are clueless about such items, if you know exactly what you are looking for and do your research on their website beforehand you can usually get what you need. You can even check local store inventory of a particular part in your area. I've found that information to be very reliable in most instances.

It's true that you can order a lot of the same parts, connectors, etc. from other electronics suppliers on the internet and probably get them at a lower price. Nothing beats the convenience, however, of getting the part/item you need RIGHT NOW to fix something or complete your project. You do have to be familiar with the Radio Shacks in your area as not all of the stores stock the parts inventory that I mentioned and are mainly "phone kiosks."

mainetrunk

Why I goto the shack

That's true--trp2525, Walmart, Hannaford, Target, and many other stores DO NOT carry audio/video/RF connectors, adapters, miniature bulbs, etc. The Shack has a few things your corner store will NEVER carry..

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
Picked up the last one in Tucson for $59.04 total price without tax. It was the display model and missing the antenna. After a few phone calls by the store personnel to the right manager they discounted it even more because of the missing part !

Status
Not open for further replies.