pro197 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
No... Not resolved I am able to hear some traffic for Macedonia etc off of the Marcs Cuyahoga tower(s). It worked ok the first day and since has been hit or miss. I am still trying to find a solution. What scanner are you using?
Sounds like a textbook example of simulcast distortion to me. The Cuyahoga frequencies are simulcast across numerous towers which would definitely cause this issue. If I were you I'd sell the Pro 197 and pick up a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200

ncs500

Hello,
Im trying to exhaust all options before...ITs weird because even when i travel into southern Cuyahoga where i im not in between the towers im still not getting it to decode radio traffic.

ncs500

What antenna did you go with? that was the next thing i was going to try.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I have been working on this issue with some other helpful members of the forum. I have a feeling your probably close to me. I did a little experimenting driving with scanner and started getting ok Radio traffic once I was east of route 8 on route 82.
go here and click on the License. it will bring up a list of were the towers are. Cuyahoga Co Simul Site Details (Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications)

You can try getting a directional antenna and point it at a tower close to you, try turning on, the attenuator on the scanner, some people had some luck with removing the antenna and replacing it with a paper clip. Your goal us to try and a signal from only one tower. For a simulcast system the les antenna might be better, or what Whisky3JMC said, sell your scanner and get a SDS 100 or 200.

There are some Software defined radios that might help. Get yourself a couple of RTL-SDR dongles for about 25.00 each and download a program like SDRTrunk or DSD+ fastlane and give that a shot. Also Bluetail P25RX5 P25RX Digital Police Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support could be a cheaper option

ncs500

Thanks for the info AJAT, I have looked up tower locations when i travel about 1/2 mile toward one of them things start to work fine. At home i have tried ATT on and i get nothing. when i travel just outside of summit county into cuyahoga i get the same unintelligible audio from summit and cuyahoga works fine (no simulcast issues) in many of the locations i tried. Wondering if its possibly a low signal issue where i am.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
Sounds exactly like simulcast distortion. Although I do agree with you exhaust all options before taking out a second mortgage for an SDS lol. If you just tune into the control channel what is you signal strength? I would invest in a dongle, you may be able to get away with just one for 25.00. It will not cover all the frequencies though, but you can use it for trouble shooting, and the are fun to play around with as well.

ncs500

Lol yes!... Signal fluctuates but would average a 4 out of 6. the decode rarely shows anything above 35 % . Was hoping to try a directional antenna and see if any improvement

jaybw54

Now I'm officially frustrated. I picked up a UHF/VHF yaggi antenna and mounted it in the back yard. I aimed it at the nearest tower that Summit County OH is using, probably about 6 miles away from me. I also tried rotating the antenna to different positions, N,S,E,W, etc. and mounting it with it's elements vertical and horizontal. It may have made a tiny bit of difference with the simulcast distortion, but not enough to make it worthwhile. As I see it, I'm out of options. Until I can afford an SDS200, I'm out of the scanning business. I'll probably be putting my Pro 197 in the classifieds.

Swipesy

Did you try changing your Multi- Type settings (Off, Roam, Stat) to see if any of these settings might help reception?

Swipesy

They are in the parameters section of setting up System frequencies. If you have a manual it explains what each type does. If no manual you can look them up on RR Wiki for the Pro197 Easier to Read manual.

Swipesy

Because your issue is most likely simulcast these may not do anything but I want to exhaust all possible options for you.

ind224

Are you checking the decode % in real time while making adjustments? Moving the radio itself and adjusting the squelch can matter. Confirm you can get NOAA and likely a change in level if you disconnect the antenna. I have many 197s and they all have their own personality but I have succeeded with 99% decode on similcast.

jaybw54

Not sure how you get a % of decode. I have looked at the results as I made the changes of antenna and antenna direction. Results are not acceptable however, NOAA comes in great.

ind224

When you receive the system press F2 Then F3
You can also go to your cc list and listen for good audio (required for good P25 de ode) on the cc you select.
Sometimes it seems the % is slow responding so I just turn it off the scanner and turn it back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.