PRO2006 Backlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
I've had a read through some of the EL backlight replacement threads on this and other forums and wonder if you can replace the backlight with LEDs? I have a couple of small 12v ones here that I wouldn't mind trying however where do you think is the the best place to power them from?

fineshot1

Not sure which version you have.

The earlier version 2006 had a push in switch to dim the back light.

The later version this switch function was changed to an on/off switch for the back light.

Powering off of that switch as in the original light would be a good place to start.

wmbio

I have not see this done but a good thought...the first step would be to remove the old EL display so you can backlight the LCD panel from behind. If you are going to this much effort, there are several sources on the internet where a replacement backlight can be purchased, just replace it. The original EL display runs at 60VAC off the secondary of the step up driver transformer...Do not connect any LED's to the old EL connection...If you can find a Service manual, there are many easy to get to 5V/8V/12V B+ points to connect to...Most folks want the display to be on 100% of the time so tie them to a power supply.

Let us know how you make out with this project...a photo would be nice to see.

Enjoy
Wmbio

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I've had a read through some of the EL backlight replacement threads on this and other forums and wonder if you can replace the backlight with LEDs? I have a couple of small 12v ones here that I wouldn't mind trying however where do you think is the the best place to power them from?

I did see a pro-2005 a few years ago at a neighbor's house that had been modified with LEDs. I asked him about it and he said a friend of his had done it for him, all he remembered was that the guy had used a piece of white translucent plastic (plexiglass?) underneath the LCD display, and some blue LEDs under that. The result looked REALLY nice. An evenly diffused, light blue, very bright backlight.

I have 5 pro-2006's and have done an EL replacement on all of them. I have been hoping one of them would start to fade again so I can experiment. Of course, now that I am waiting for it to happen, those EL's seem to be lasting forever.

Let us know how you make out!

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
So I bought some 6v LEDS in the hope I may be able to power them from the dimmer switch. It appears the dimmer switch runs off 5v. Looking at the block diagram I may be able to source power in a few places, I have Voltage Reg IC8.Q32.D54 or IC9 or Input to the EL driver T501.Q508. Still trying to work out how exactly I will use the dimmer switch, and whether or not it will be used at all. I've had this scanner as long as I remember and don't want to damage it installing these LEDs so will be planning very carefully.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
So I bought some 6v LEDS in the hope I may be able to power them from the dimmer switch. It appears the dimmer switch runs off 5v. Looking at the block diagram I may be able to source power in a few places, I have Voltage Reg IC8.Q32.D54 or IC9 or Input to the EL driver T501.Q508. Still trying to work out how exactly I will use the dimmer switch, and whether or not it will be used at all. I've had this scanner as long as I remember and don't want to damage it installing these LEDs so will be planning very carefully.

Post some pictures and hints if you get it working!
This is something I've always wanted to do as well in a 2004 and 2006.

I ended up taking the easy way out though and bought new EL panels from an eBay listing for both.
I'd also like to change the backlights in my 780XLT.

edisaldana

Pro-2006 backlight

The small transformer that feeds the backlight is damaged, So I'm trying to find alternatives to activate the backlight.
Does anybody has ideas how to do it?
I need to knwo what is the opertating voltag and currente, AC or DC.
If somebody has the spec data sheet would be great.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.