Pro2050 problem

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I have a Pro2050 I use to listen to civil air. Been a good radio but now has a problem where the squelch is open. Can not adjust it. Have tried cleaning the squelch pot with no joy. Unplugging and plugging back in does not fix the problem. If you let sit turned off for a while , when turned back on will work right. Any ideas?

wtp

i have a pro2001 that has started to do that.
i have not found a fix.
i thought i did by cleaning out the insides, but it came back a week later.
it sounds like the squelch is open but it just keeps scanning even if there is a signal on a frequency.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I have a Pro2050 I use to listen to civil air. Been a good radio but now has a problem where the squelch is open. Can not adjust it. Have tried cleaning the squelch pot with no joy. Unplugging and plugging back in does not fix the problem. If you let sit turned off for a while , when turned back on will work right. Any ideas?
It sounds like a component has a thermal issue. The usual way I find those is to wait until it fails, spray a little coolant on a suspect, see if that corrects it. If so, replace component. If not, try next component. There's not much to a squelch circuit, it's likely a capacitor or transistor that's aged.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
There is an adjustment for squelch as defined in the service manual on page 10. If the trimpot is dirty it may have intermittent contact. You can mark its position and then turn it back and forth from end to end a few times. If the trimpot isn't sealed maybe contact cleaner would help. Then return the trimpot setting to its original position and see if the squelch works. The service manual can be found at RadioShack PRO-2050 Service manual | RigReference.com

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I wondered about “thermal issue” wil check that. May very well be a bad cap. It’s been a good radio and hot receiver, so worth the effort.