PRO2067 PL Squelch issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

The PL does not seem to be working as I would like. I've tried CTCSS PL and DPL. When I say not working I mean the sound of the squelch-not other station rejection. I used to be an EMT and when we would go to PL mode the squelch knob would not work because we were working from PL tones not squelch-it was pointless. When dispatch quit talking the radio went silent; we did not hear the repeater delay and quit. I don't think it is working because I can still hear the repeater after the participants quit talking and then I get the KSSSHHHHTTT sound when the squelch kicks in (which is what I want to get rid of).

I think it is programmed correctly. The bank is set to closed and the + changes to a -. I have noticed the P/L on the bottom line says 'none' unless they are talking and then it displays their number with a lightning bolt. If I enter program mode it does display their tone #.

If you have a 2067 that you know is working do you hear the repeaters squelch out?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
That all depends on how the radio shop programs the repeater. You can have the repeater pass ctcss tone all the time the repeater is keyed or pass ctcss tone as long as it sees an input you unkey and the squelch tail is in carrier squelch. Yes you have to put the bank in closed mode - in order for ctcss operation in the closed mode with tone programed you should hear no squelch white noise when squelch knob is turned counter clockwise.

W2PMX

Whether the scanner's audio dies as soon as the user unkeys depends on the scanner. Most repeaters use "reverse-burst" - they transmit a burst of tone 180 degree phase reversed as soon as the user unkeys. (When tone reception was done with reeds, that tended to stop the reed from vibrating, squelching the receiver immediately.) If the scanner is designed to kill the audio on reverse-burst you won't hear the squelch tail. If it's not you will, since the reverse-burst looks like a continuation of PL to the scanner.

Some repeaters are set up to kill the tone completely when the user unkeys (since there probably aren't any radios left in service that use reeds), causing "tone decode" type receivers (like all scanners that can detect PL) to kill receive silently.

Status
Not open for further replies.