Pro528 Programing Problems - Shenandoah Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

So I recently cleared my aged Pro 528 out and reprogramed it.

I used the codes on here (for all the fire-rescue channels), and I had to google for the LE channels.

Here is what I put in in when I reprogrammed:

Warren Fire-Rescue Ch 1-4
Warren Co SO
Front Royal PD
Shenandoah County Fire-Rescue Channels
Fred Co Fire-Rescue Channels
Clarke Co Fire-Rescue Channels

Only the Warren Fire and Fred Co fire channels pick up. I set the SO and PD channels to Motorola Type II trunking but they don't pick up. Shenandoah County doesn't pick up.

Clarke County I get, as my pager doesn't even half pick up Clarke Co, but my pager at least picks up Clarke Co.

So is there something I'm missing?

kc4jgc

Warren County SO and Front Royal PD use a commercial LTR system. LTR is **NOT** a Motorola type 2.

Looking at your owner's manual on line, your scanner does support LTR. Be sure you program the system correctly, entering the system freqs in the slots indicated in the DB. Otherwise, it won't track correctly.

Warren County SO and Front Royal PD use a commercial LTR system. LTR is **NOT** a Motorola type 2.

Looking at your owner's manual on line, your scanner does support LTR. Be sure you program the system correctly, entering the system freqs in the slots indicated in the DB. Otherwise, it won't track correctly.

So I need to go in and change the trunk from M to LTR?

Any idea why Shenandoah County won't pick up?

kc4jgc

So I need to go in and change the trunk from M to LTR?

Yes, AND you enter the frequencies in the LCN (Logical Channel Number) correctly.
For instance, The LCN's for this system are 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20. You need to enter the frequency listed for each LCN **EXACTLY** as listed here: Linden SMR Associates Trunking System, Linden, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

In other words, leave the odd LCN's blank. once you've done that and entered the talk groups, you should be good to go.

Any idea why Shenandoah County won't pick up?

Since UHF freqs have a shorter line of sight than VHF, and is affected more by obstructions, like mountains, it could be affecting your reception. Assuming you are in Warren County, you're on the other side of the Blue Ridge from Shenandoah County. I don't know where their towers are located; I defer to someone who's more familiar with reception in the area. Off the top of my head I'd surmise the ridge is blocking your reception of Shenandoah County.

Yes, AND you enter the frequencies in the LCN (Logical Channel Number) correctly.
For instance, The LCN's for this system are 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20. You need to enter the frequency listed for each LCN **EXACTLY** as listed here: Linden SMR Associates Trunking System, Linden, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

In other words, leave the odd LCN's blank. once you've done that and entered the talk groups, you should be good to go.

Since UHF freqs have a shorter line of sight than VHF, and is affected more by obstructions, like mountains, it could be affecting your reception. Assuming you are in Warren County, you're on the other side of the Blue Ridge from Shenandoah County. I don't know where their towers are located; I defer to someone who's more familiar with reception in the area. Off the top of my head I'd surmise the ridge is blocking your reception of Shenandoah County.

That makes sense for Shenandoah County, and I assume there's nothing I can do about that?

As for the LCN, I saw that. So I need to enter it as such correct?

<skip> (start)
Code
<skip>
Code
<skip>

So on and so fourth? I assume they don't need to be on channels 2-20?

kc4jgc

As for the LCN, I saw that. So I need to enter it as such correct?

<skip> (start)
Code
<skip>
Code
<skip>

If you're calling frequncies as "code", yes.
LCN 1 is blank
LCN 2 you enter the frequency 860.6875
LCN 3 is blank
LCN 4 you enter the frequency 854.5625

And so on....

I do not understand your last question (.... don't need to be on channels 2-20?)

N8IAA

Don't assume anything. And, yes they need to be on channels 2, 4. 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20 for it to be programmed properly into the scanner. All frequencies have to be programmed as LTR, as well as, the TGID's. Otherwise the scanner won't follow the system.
Larry

kc4jgc

.... I assume they don't need to be on channels 2-20?

The 528 does have channels. To program the LCN, he has to program on the even channels starting with 2 and ending with 20.
Larry

Right, Larry. I'm unclear if CS is asking another question or not understanding my reply about the LCN order. At first it reads like he did, then I'm not sure.

CS, do you have it programmed right?

Status
Not open for further replies.