Pro95 keypad locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobjs2

Premium Subscriber
My scanner keypad is locked and I can't get it to unlock, reset or initialize. I hit the reset button on the side and tried other suggestions. Anything that requires hitting a key will not work. Any suggestions???

bobjs2

Premium Subscriber
I know about locking the keypad and I don't recall locking it. I tried func/lock, resetting AND initialization of the scanner by turning off and on and pushing the reset button on the side. Just don't know what else to try. No matter which keys I press, nothing happens. Scans fine, only up direction, but no weather manual, light, etc.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did you try removing the batteries? Sometimes, something gets stuck in the computer memory and the only way to fix it is to remove the power source.

bobjs2

Premium Subscriber
I removed the batteries. Will leave them out overnight. Overkill I know, but it's bedtime anyway... will post in the morning. Thanks for all the help.

n5ims

Way back when I used a Pro-95 I would at times get something stuck around a key and it would hold the key down and prevent the scanner from recognizing other keypresses. It was frustrating until I noticed that the keypad wasn't responding because a key had stuck on due to the "gunk". Once it was removed, it worked normally again until another piece of gunk made a key get stuck on.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Those elastomer keypads are notorious for failing. Ideally you'd want to replace it, I've certainly replaced my fair share. However all it might need is to be cleaned. There are several threads here on RR on the topic.

Golay

I have a Pro95. If I don't use it for awhile, it does the same thing. You need to do some surgery. If you're comfortable doing it:

Take the radio apart, and get to the keypad. You need to remove one or two ribbon cables as you go along. It's not a tough job, just go slow, don't be in a hurry. As you take it apart, make a note on how the shim that goes behind the display goes. It's angled and if you don't pay attention, it can be a dickens to orientate back the way it was. I got my shim marked with a sharpie which way is which.

When you get to the keypad, wipe all the fingers and the pads they land on with alchohol and a q-tip. Put it back together and it should scan again. It don't seem that this would cause it not to scan. And when you clean up all the pads and fingers, they don't appear dirty. But it fixes it every time. At least a half dozen times thru the years.

bobjs2

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your replies. I will take it apart and see what I can do. It still scans, but only up and most of the time I am fine with that. But you know how it is, sometimes you want something different...

bobjs2

Premium Subscriber
All the keys do bounce back fine, but I did take it apart and clean it anyway. Somehow I did get it to initialize, factory reset I guess. Of course I don't have any frequencies now. However, the keys are still not working. Still no weather, light, programming, manual, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.