PRO95 Locked Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

texascanuk2

Help !! I need help as to unlocking all channels in my PRO95 Scanner. I have had this scanner for a few years and have not had any problems up to now. I picked it up to move to another chair and when I looked at the screen, "All Channels Locked Out" was showing. I have many channels in memory. Following the instruction book was no help.

Can anyone help.

Thank you

John

N8IAA

Help !! I need help as to unlocking all channels in my PRO95 Scanner. I have had this scanner for a few years and have not had any problems up to now. I picked it up to move to another chair and when I looked at the screen, "All Channels Locked Out" was showing. I have many channels in memory. Following the instruction book was no help. Can anyone help.Thank you John
John, have you tried resetting the scanner by putting the end of a paperclip into the hole marked reset near the power jack. This should unlock the banks. If that doesn't work, initialize the scanner by turning it off, then on, at the welcome screen, press 0, then 1. Wait till the screen clears and it shows Bank 0, Man000. You will then have to reprogram all your banks again. That is the only downside. If that doesn't work, you can send it to RS repair. They charge $20 to see what is wrong. They will let you know what and how much. It may be cheaper to buy one of the newer trunk tracking scanners.
HTH,
Larry

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-95 woes

John, have you tried resetting the scanner by putting the end of a paperclip into the hole marked reset near the power jack. This should unlock the banks. If that doesn't work, initialize the scanner by turning it off, then on, at the welcome screen, press 0, then 1. Wait till the screen clears and it shows Bank 0, Man000. You will then have to reprogram all your banks again.
This is bad advice as the first thing to try. There are several reasons this message could be displayed.

The message occurs when you are in SCAN mode and there is nothing selected or programmed to scan. Power the scanner normally, press MAN. You say there is (or was) stuff programmed. Can you manually navigate to those channels? Are they still there? If so, are they individually locked out?

The two most common causes of this are: 1) you have no banks selected; 2) all programming has been lost.

In the case of 1, while in scan mode with the dreaded message, press the key associated with the bank or banks where you have stuff programmed. In the case of 2, you'll need to totally reprogram the scanner.

That is the only downside. If that doesn't work, you can send it to RS repair. They charge $20 to see what is wrong.
Highly unlikely that the scanner is defective. I've had a scanner or two become unprogrammed for "no reason" over the years. I simply connect them back to the computer (or another scanner) and reload. Good luck.

texascanuk2

John, have you tried resetting the scanner by putting the end of a paperclip into the hole marked reset near the power jack. This should unlock the banks. If that doesn't work, initialize the scanner by turning it off, then on, at the welcome screen, press 0, then 1. Wait till the screen clears and it shows Bank 0, Man000. You will then have to reprogram all your banks again. That is the only downside. If that doesn't work, you can send it to RS repair. They charge $20 to see what is wrong. They will let you know what and how much. It may be cheaper to buy one of the newer trunk tracking scanners.
HTH,
Larry

Thank you for responding. I tried the paper clip idea but it did not work. I really do not want to have to reprogram again if possible. I have all the frequencies in my computer but I am not sure how to do it. My son set me up 8 years ago but he has fogotten how he did it.

Again Thank you,

John

N8IAA

Thank you for responding. I tried the paper clip idea but it did not work. I really do not want to have to reprogram again if possible. I have all the frequencies in my computer but I am not sure how to do it. My son set me up 8 years ago but he has fogotten how he did it.Again Thank you, John

My 95 used to do the same and dump all the frequencies giving the dreaded locked out screen. I know you don't really want to do the initialization, but, it will reset the scanner to all the default settings. If you can program some of the conventional frequencies, or, just hit the wx button to see if it will receive, you know the scanner works. Download Win95 from: Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners , get the radio shack programming cable. You will be set to put the frequencies you have on your pc into the scanner. Let us know what happens.
Larry

texascanuk2

Thanks again, WX works fine. It has all along. I have I have one of the RS Interfaces but cannot figure out how it works. I went into my P95 file and can see the Police Fire, and city frequencies. This past 2 weeks have been terrible for me and electronic things. 1st I messed up my computer and then the Scanner.

I will have to see if I can get up enough nerve to try the reprogram bit.

John

N8IAA

Thanks again, WX works fine. It has all along. I have I have one of the RS Interfaces but cannot figure out how it works. I went into my P95 file and can see the Police Fire, and city frequencies. This past 2 weeks have been terrible for me and electronic things. 1st I messed up my computer and then the Scanner. I will have to see if I can get up enough nerve to try the reprogram bit. John

I know how that is! I am assuming that you have the older 20-289 RS232/DB9 cable. Plug it into the serial port on your computer. In the Start menu, right click on My Computer/Computer, click on properties, click on device manager, click on com ports. It will tell you what port the programming cable is on. Then in Win95, click on configure. Make sure that the com that is selected is correct. Turn on the scanner, plug in the cable to the PC/IF port on the side of the scanner (not into the headphone on the top). In the program, click on the scanner tab, then click on upload to scanner. Turn off the scanner and unplug the programming cable. Turn the scanner on and you should be scanning after that:)
Larry

Make sure that none of the frequencies in the programming software is L/Out.

Last edited:

texascanuk2

Indeed it is. Other than being a USB cable. No need to use the extra adapter that came with it.
Larry

I connected everything as per your instructions but still nothing. The computer tells me it cannot open the port to transfer info.

I guess I will have to get someone to help me as far as the computer goes now,

I am not up on the computers too much.

John

N8IAA

I connected everything as per your instructions but still nothing. The computer tells me it cannot open the port to transfer info. I guess I will have to get someone to help me as far as the computer goes now, I am not up on the computers too much.John
Since you are using the USB cable, go to the Wiki here on RR. Click on Radio Shack Scanners, and make sure that you have the latest drivers for your operating system--Windows 98/XP/7--for your cable by downloading them. Second, make sure that the port in the programming software matches what is in the device manager under the com ports / USB. If they don't match, change the port in the software by clicking on the down arrow next to the window showing the port. Also, make sure that you are not using the stereo to mono pigtail that came with the USB cable. It is not neccessary for the 95. Make sure you turn the radio on, plug in the cable to the PC/IF port on the SIDE of the scanner. Not into the top:) Trust me, we've all done it:D To test the cable, download your scanner into the program. See if it reads into
the program. If it does, the cable is working. It will also let you see if there were any of your frequencies left in the radio. Save it as a dummy file. Upload the file you have into the scanner. Unplug, let the scanner reboot. See if it starts scanning again. If not, I truly don't know what is wrong with the scanner:(
HTH,
Larry

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-95 programming

Since you are using the USB cable ... make sure that the port in the programming software matches what is in the device manager under the com ports ... If they don't match, change the port in the software by clicking on the down arrow next to the window showing the port. Also, make sure that you are not using the stereo to mono pigtail that came with the USB cable.
Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports. With the cable plugged in to the USB port you should see it listed there. It will also tell you which COM port has been assigned to it. Go in to WIN95 and set it to the same COM port. The other default settings on WIN95 should work.

texascanuk2

Thanks everyone for your help. My son-in-law came over and looked at my computer. Apparently my new computer is "Vista" and the old interface would not match up. We went into my old "XP" and found the files and PRESTO I'm up and running again. I guess the new "Acer Vista" is not as good as a working " somtimes" old XP .

It sure is nice to hear voices on the scanner again. It has been very quiet for the last few weeks.

Again thank you for all your help N8IAA and gmclamm

John

n5ims

Have your son-in-law check your Vista computer. It's probably 64 bits while you're XP is 32 bits. If so, have him seach for the 64 bit drivers for that cable and install them, removing any currently installed ones first. Things will not work correctly (if at all) if the 32 bit drivers are used on a 64 bit system. While things are in place to allow programs to work this way, drivers must match to work right.

Status
Not open for further replies.