Pro96 help with GRN

Status
Not open for further replies.

robocock8191

G'day guys,

With the recent bushfires I have recently been kicking myself for getting rid of my ubcd396 scanner. Luckily I do have a Radioshack Pro96 scanner which i was able to find.
I am trying to program Fire & Rescue NSW service as well as the Rural Fire Services into my scanner but all I seem to scan is silence. I know the scanner works as it was picking up the Ambulance Service before I reprogrammed it.
I have even gone to the lengths of paying $23AUD to use the radioreference webservice in win96 and arc96 apps, but to no avail.

Can anyone give me a hand? Any tips? (Besides going back to the Uniden lol, wish I could afford it right now!)

Cheers
Kev

SandBagger1

Hello everyone,

I recommend this to you Radio Reference NSWGRN other then VHF-Hi band fire ground channels particular talk groups are very active and very interesting. If the admin of this database is reading this I would like to help you with some up to date ACT sites.

Best wishes
Mark

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Do you see the grey 'SUBMIT' tab right above the title of the database? That's how you submit something to the database admins....Mike

robocock8191

Hrmmm, so I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but I am picking up transmissions in manual mode only, when i flick through the channels. But for some reason scan just seems to pass everything. Any ideas?
I've attached a copy of my scanner setup for Win96, if someone can take a look and see if they can figure it out.

Thanks
Kev

Attachments

• scanner.zip
    19 KB · Views: 6

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I'm not in Australia but I looked at it. If you're trying to get NSW SYSTEM and the Heathcoate SITE? for example
1 (1)006 (6)HeathcoteSydney Outer (SO), NSW413.3125415.0625415.8125416.3125417.0625a417.3125417.5625c

If you're hearing them manually, there's a conflict with the Control Channels. The Radio Reference database shows it as a P25 Phase II system. RS Pro96 only gets P25 Phase 1. You won't hear any talkgroups that use Phase II
If any are Phase 1? you should be able to hear them just by entering the control channel 417.5625 and scanning. No need to enter ALL frequencies of a SITE. Just the Control Channel (red) and the (blue) alternates are enough. It's using 400Mhz that may need a custom table? I don't know about that. Someone in Australia knows more about that. YOU Should only enter ONE control channel or SITE per BANK. If you have more on the same bank? they conflict unless you're far enough away from reception of those others. IT appears you have other Control Channel SITES IN ONE large BANK 0 and also in BANK 1, 2, 3. You might want to try separating each SITE into a different BANK like 2 or 3 etc... instead of having all on one. Try locking out the Control channels of all others except the SITE closest to you. I still use my OLD Pro96 to listen to Chicago fun. A good scanner except it doesn't get Phase II P25 and won't Trunk* 700Mhz. Good Luck.

rustynswrail

That's why RR should stick to their side of the world and leave Australia to Australian forums and sites. The Australian data on RR is out of date and just plain wrong in the majority of cases.

There are numerous Australian pages with members more than happy to help and not someone on the other side of the world who has no idea about Australian radio systems and networks. Or frequency assignments.

Google will point you in the right direction. Forget RR and look locally.

SandBagger1

Hi Kev my understanding is NSWGRN is Phase II, so I think your out of luck. The information on the Australia/NSW pages on Radio Reference are best I have found.

robocock8191

hrmm, well I'm trying to find a cheap scanner to pick up the GRN, but it seems like these things never come down much in price :(

I might have a go at trying the RTL-SDR method instead.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If the information in the RadioReference Database is incorrect, please submit an update to the database for anything that you have directly confirmed.

If there are other useful sources of information that might help the OP, I suggest posting links to those sources.

pb_lonny

I use to be a DB admin (under an old account) and was / am happy to work on updates. The information for the TASGRN (EDACS) is fairly up to date. As above, if the information is wrong, post updates and it can be changed / added as needed.

SandBagger1

Hello everyone, its disappointing how one negative comment has put this thread in a bad place. There are a few good websites containing information about Scanning and frequencies in Australia. I have found the Radio Reference Data Base for NSW to be the most accurate and up to date around. It is the most complete resource for services in one place! I'm sitting here listening to GRN Talk Group 10068 NSWRFS TG41 OPS 11 and they are directing units to go to VHF fire ground Ch 22. When I have a look at the NSWRFS listing on this website it shows a frequency, guess what, its right and I can hear traffic straight away.

To everybody involved with the information on this website THANK YOU!

Where I live its lacking a bit, but now I know how to submit information I will be doing so. Also I will become a member and do my little bit to help.

Best wishes
Mark

doogs38

+1 for ScanSydney. It provides excellent, current information for the NSW GRN amongst other things. Also, OzScan (search google) provides excellent services FOR Uniden scanners, which I’ve used.

Status
Not open for further replies.