PRO96 Multi-Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuiltonAsus

Since the thread above is closed I have to post a new thread. I understand that there needs to be a "blank" freq. spaced in between different trunking systems and that it has to be FM (not AM, not CT, not DC, not MO, and not ED). My question is, does there need to be a "blank" channel at the beginning and at the end? Can there be a CT freq. at the end of the trunked systems?

I have included a photo to help explain what I mean. There are red arrows pointing to the areas I have questions about. Again it shows there is a blank channel in between, but there is not a blank channel to start off the bank, and it ends with a freq. that is CT. Do I need to have the trunked systems also "wrapped" by blank freqs?

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

I don't know where you got the idea that trunked systems had to be surrounded or separated by "blank" channels. It is simply not true.

The only type of trunked system that must be programmed into certain channels on a PRO-96 is EDACS, which never has a "channel 0" and which must be programmed according to LCN order.

For Motorola and P25 trunking, different systems will have different talkgroup setups, so they should be in separate banks.

Bucko

True on the EDACS, it needs to be in the correct LCN. On the MOT system like DaveNF2G said you should not mix different systems in the same bank, you will really get a mix up on the TG's. However you can run more than one CC in one bank of the same system, an example is the Ohio's MARCS system. I monitor several towers in one bank separated by 894.000 FM.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
BuiltonAsus:

Yep, I think you read too much into that closed sticky thread. The point being made there was if you were dealing with a multi-site Motorola or Project 25 system and wanted to make sure to adequately scan each site in range, then a FM frequency of some sort (not with CT or DS activated) should be placed between the sites in the scanner. When I do this, I start the bank out with a dummy of 1300 MHz (in slot 00) and then put the first site, another dummy of 1300 MHz follows the first site and so, on. I don't put one at the end, but I have been known to put some other conventional following the TRS frequencies, and those don't seem to matter as to what they are, since the first frequency in the bank is the dummy.

As others have said, if you put more than one TRS (and it will allow you to do so for Moto and P25) you will run into problems with TG identification. Say both systems use TG 144; one for the Trash Service and one for the PD. If you put the Trash TG in first in the list, it is the only Alpha Tag that will ever show, even if you put in the PD and lock out the Trash TG. Needless to say, this will cause problems and headaches for your scanning enjoyment. :wink:

BuiltonAsus

Gotcha. Thank you loumaag and others for pointing out my error. Now this question is just for fun, but theoretically could you have two different MOT TRS in the same bank if their TG's don't match up in any way. The University of Michigan has very few TG's in comparison to the AA/Washtenaw TRS and the TGs are not duplicated in anyway. Is this possible to have both TRS in the same bank?

Washtenaw - http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=82
University of Michigan - http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=83

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
BuiltonAsus said:
Gotcha. Thank you loumaag and others for pointing out my error. Now this question is just for fun, but theoretically could you have two different MOT TRS in the same bank if their TG's don't match up in any way. The University of Michigan has very few TG's in comparison to the AA/Washtenaw TRS and the TGs are not duplicated in anyway. Is this possible to have both TRS in the same bank?

Washtenaw - http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=82
University of Michigan - http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=83
Yes, that would work.

DickH

BuiltonAsus said:
... Is this possible to have both TRS in the same bank?
QUOTE]
Another aspect of this is if the Motorola systems are far apart in miles. For example, here on the west coast we can put Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and San Diego in the same bank, since they will never be heard at the same time.
Theoretically, you can have 25 Motorola systems in a 100 channel bank.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
DickH said:
BuiltonAsus said:
... Is this possible to have both TRS in the same bank?
QUOTE]
Another aspect of this is if the Motorola systems are far apart in miles. For example, here on the west coast we can put Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and San Diego in the same bank, since they will never be heard at the same time.
Theoretically, you can have 25 Motorola systems in a 100 channel bank.
But you will still run afoul of the TG identification problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.