Pro96 Programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynelovelace

I have a two year old Pro 96. The Shack programed it when I purchased it. Now I pick up all the Bartholomew county stuff where I live. Along with Indiana State Police Indianapolis. I can't get the local serounding counties. That is what I would like to pick up. I don't know how to get the local counties in under the Saf-t system. Does anyone know and easy way to program this unit?

W9NES

*It is a lot easier to program the Pro 96 by hand* as I did.I also did the same thing with my Pro-2096.It is very easy to do and I can walk him thru it with no problem.Once you do it by hand it is not a big deal!!!

schnit

I've had a 96 for three years now and sprung for the Win96 and a cable right when I got it. They're a must have with that unit, you'll never be sorry you invested the approx $50 for the cable and software!

Also, the cable you'll need is Radio Shack Part# 20-047

Good Luck...

Last edited:

W9NES

It did not take me very long to program to Pro-96 and I have mine Picking up Safe-t along with MECA with no problems.If you want to job done right you do it yourself and NEVER let Radio Shack do anything to the radio except repair.The programming shortcut that poster schnit posted is a great way to learn to program the unit.I have both units the Pro-96 Handheld and the Pro-2096 Base/Mobile and both are great radios.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
It did not take me very long to program to Pro-96 and I have mine Picking up Safe-t along with MECA with no problems.If you want to job done right you do it yourself and NEVER let Radio Shack do anything to the radio except repair.The programming shortcut that poster schnit posted is a great way to learn to program the unit.I have both units the Pro-96 Handheld and the Pro-2096 Base/Mobile and both are great radios.
I wrote that shortcut 6 years ago but my concern is--how are you going to pickup Safe-T with 96/2096 when they reband? Ya can't do it using keyboard but it can be done perfectly using Win96.

W9NES

My Radio Shack Pro 96 and Pro2096 do pick up Safe-t and MECA with no problems and both radios do work with Rebanding and they are Digital.If they were not Digital I would not be hearing Safe-t and MECA.Thank You for the Question.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
MECA frequencies were structured below rebanding requirements so no scanner user adjustments are needed.

Safe=T has not started rebanding yet and nearly all sites will require scanner user adjustments (mostly 6 extended frequency tables in this scanner). Again, can't be accomplished punching buttons on the scanner keyboard.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I do not use a computer.I do things the long way by hand and no keyboard on any computer is used.
I'm not trying to bicker about this issue but waynelovelace ask a how to program question. You may be happy using scanner buttons but the issue is how to program his nearby Safe-T systems.

The answer will soon be using a computer and Win96 software from www.starrsoft.com.

Using the Wiki shortcut will program his nearby Safe-T towers but soon they will reband. When that occurs most frequencies will reduce by 15MHz. This scanner is control channel only so the active control frequency programmed in scanner determines which voice frequency to match with the talkgroup when the agency user keys the mike button.

Safe-T is designed by Motorola and they set it according to their exorbitant channel band plan. When the frequencies are rebanded a whole new band plan will need to be assigned to this scanner. The Keyboard CAN NOT make these changes. Thus waynelovelace will be out of luck with out the software and so will you for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.