Pro96 speaker audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbwrobel

Not sure if its inherent to the 96 or if its like this general as this is the only scanner I've ever had, but does the audio coming out of it sound like its got a lot of high end on it (ie. high treble and very little mid & low range)? I sometimes ride the train/bus on the system I'm trying to scan and when the audio comes out of their radios it sounds a lot deeper (not that it sounds bad out of the 96 its just annoying after listening to it for a while).

Thanks,
Dan

RadioDaze

I find the tone a bit high-end too. Leaves you wishing it had a bass control that you could turn up. It just has a small speaker, and not enough room in the case for bass to resonate. I find that it helps me to have it concentrated in the high end, since a lot of the low-end would be wasted in a noisy environment.

Maybe someone could share their experiences with a speaker-mike styled speaker that would work with it, maybe like this: Scanner Lapel Speaker

If you don't mind going incognito, a pair of stereo headphones should sound pretty good, too.

dbwrobel

I tried running it through my new speakers today with some EQ added on in the loop...what a difference it makes; I included a sample of some recording (a lot of more midrange now and nice when listening at my desk :) )

Attachments

• sample.zip
    159.3 KB · Views: 54

nanZor

One very cheap and extremely ugly way that I've tackled that is to cover up about half or more of the speaker grill with screen-cover material for pda's. Or for an even uglier look, electrical tape!

Seriously, this actually can tailor the audio, rather than just block the output. On some radios, I've actually covered up 3/4 of the speaker grill. On others, it didn't work at all.

I HATE to do it, but that high-end hiss drives me nuts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.