PRO96 TG ID Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimfromiowa

Premium Subscriber
After reprogramming with both ARC96 and Win 96 to make the PRO96 work with the new Linn Co (Iowa) P25 system, three local PRO96 users have discovered they aren't getting any TG ID information displayed, even though the scanners appear to be working well with the new system.

The display always shows the bank ID (Link County) on both bottom lines of the display.

Conventional channels (ham and aircraft) appear to display properly.

We have collectively tried every selection we could find in both ARC96 and Win96 and nothing seems to change the display.

I'll dump everything and go back to the old file and try to rebuild from there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jim w0nkn

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Might find help here with those who are monitoring the systems on these existing threads, - Although I see you have in those upon further review.
http://forums.radioreference.com/io.../249202-linn-county-p25-simulcast-system.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/iowa-radio-discussion-forum/283714-new-linn-county-p25-help.html

also you could show a picture of how its setup or attach your arc96 file to look at it.

When you say no talkgroup ID info, do you mean it just shows only the alpha text ?
I.E.
Marion Fire
-->but not the 57231
Means its operating normally, as in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2xMYIUsMbQ
Now in ARC96 to display the 57231 , put a check mark in the box next to 'Display ID Number' in the configuration settings.
See - http://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-programming-software/120570-arc96-pro-96-display.html

Seeing your a premium member, try downloading from the RR database with your software.
I tried it here with arc96 and did Iowa, Linn county, Linn county public safety project 25
What I see is that it all should work and display correctly as is from the database.
Only thing I would do is set it for under the settings for that bank to 'closed mode' is all.

Just a thought, have you in arc96 with Linn county P25 showing in the import screen put check marks on all to
download all the talkgroups on the right side, and including all the frequencies on the left side?

Ive programmed 50 some 96/2096's I dont see a problem as it is from the database.

Last edited:

jimfromiowa

Premium Subscriber
Might find help here with those who are monitoring the systems on these existing threads, - Although I see you have in those upon further review.
http://forums.radioreference.com/io.../249202-linn-county-p25-simulcast-system.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/iowa-radio-discussion-forum/283714-new-linn-county-p25-help.html

also you could show a picture of how its setup or attach your arc96 file to look at it.

When you say no talkgroup ID info, do you mean it just shows only the alpha text ?
I.E.
Marion Fire
-->but not the 57231
Means its operating normally, as in this video - PRO-96 - YouTube
Now in ARC96 to display the 57231 , put a check mark in the box next to 'Display ID Number' in the configuration settings.
See - http://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-programming-software/120570-arc96-pro-96-display.html

Seeing your a premium member, try downloading from the RR database with your software.
I tried it here with arc96 and did Iowa, Linn county, Linn county public safety project 25
What I see is that it all should work and display correctly as is from the database.
Only thing I would do is set it for under the settings for that bank to 'closed mode' is all.

Just a thought, have you in arc96 with Linn county P25 showing in the import screen put check marks on all to
download all the talkgroups on the right side, and including all the frequencies on the left side?

Ive programmed 50 some 96/2096's I dont see a problem as it is from the database.
I get the bank ID (Linn County) on both of the bottom display lines. Then the frequency on the next line up. I don't get the "VC" on the second line of the display ahead of the frequency, as I have observed on other PRO96s.

I checked all of the boxes on both sides in the download import screen.

Checked the "Display ID Number" in the config settings.

Think I'll do an initialize and a fresh download from RR and try again.

Jim

jimfromiowa

Premium Subscriber
If I set the mode to "MOT", I get a display that agrees with what the PRO197 is receiving but the displayed frequency is different, so nothing is getting received. If I set mode to FM/P25, I hear most of the traffic, but it appears the scanner is getting the information from the control channel(s). I have tried setting the control channels to "Mot" and the others to P25 but that doesn't seem to help.

This is a Harris P25 system, so wonder if anyone else has had similar problems? We have 10 PRO96/2096s in the area with CPU versions from 1.2 to 1.4 that all have the same problem. Anyone have suggestions?

Jim w0nkn

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
If I set the mode to "MOT", I get a display that agrees with what the PRO197 is receiving but the displayed frequency is different, so nothing is getting received. If I set mode to FM/P25, I hear most of the traffic, but it appears the scanner is getting the information from the control channel(s). I have tried setting the control channels to "Mot" and the others to P25 but that doesn't seem to help.

This is a Harris P25 system, so wonder if anyone else has had similar problems? We have 10 PRO96/2096s in the area with CPU versions from 1.2 to 1.4 that all have the same problem. Anyone have suggestions?

Jim w0nkn
What system are you trying to monitor, I looked a Harris P25 and didn't come up with anything. All your 800 frequency's should be set to MOT mode.

jimfromiowa

Premium Subscriber
Dan,

We're thinking there aren't many Harris P25 systems installed so that may be some of the problem.

If we set everything to MOT, we get the same talkgroup info on the display as on the PRO197, but the frequency is different, so nothing is recovered on the 96.

The RR listing shows the system in Linn Co is P25 type 1. The Harris portables used with the system are model number XP-100F-1S. Harris has been used for recent installs in both Johnson County and Linn County, IA.

The RR downloads for the systems work great with the PRO106 and PRO197, but not the PRO96/2096. We are hoping it is a software tweak.

Jim w0nkn

CA58

Premium Subscriber
Here's a e-mail answer I received from Butel. I can't make it work.... for one damn reason under settings nothing even resembles the answer I got. Under Config I see some similar but make no diff what I check or uncheck. Still getting this worthless info on scanner dispaly.

line one: bank # receive mode

line two: frequency

line three: LINN COUNTY

line four: LINN COUNTY PU

Absolutely worthless info.

To the person who says he has programmed 100"s of 96's How about some help.... like the exact steps you took to get the 100 of them showing the ID Tag IE: CRPD..... CRFD...... Mercy Traum... etc..etc. I belong to this forum, and the willingness to share ones "expertise" is always given to those who ask for help. I have yet to see a "expert" spell out step by step what to do. No Rear tailights - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Dan,

We're thinking there aren't many Harris P25 systems installed so that may be some of the problem.

If we set everything to MOT, we get the same talkgroup info on the display as on the PRO197, but the frequency is different, so nothing is recovered on the 96.

The RR listing shows the system in Linn Co is P25 type 1. The Harris portables used with the system are model number XP-100F-1S. Harris has been used for recent installs in both Johnson County and Linn County, IA.

The RR downloads for the systems work great with the PRO106 and PRO197, but not the PRO96/2096. We are hoping it is a software tweak.

Jim w0nkn

Just trying to help out, anyway you could email that win96 file as a zip with the Linn Co is P25 type 1.?

CA58

Premium Subscriber

Jim w0nkn

Would that be the RR end or ARC 96 end.?

Thanks
Craig

I forgot to paste the Butel answer to getting alpha tag "text" to display.. It did not work...FYI. But now that Jim has mentioned a software tweak... maybe that will solve the issue.

Butels answr: In the settings of the software there is an option to display the id
or the tag. Disable the show ID option and then you should see the
tag.

> Message:
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble getting "alpha tag" text to display on scanner. Pro-96. ^^^^ this is my biggest issue now without a descrpit of talk group I don't know whether to lock it out or not.

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
LOL ok the fellow that did many of those 96's...
Here is an ARC96 sample from a P25 for my Bay County, no areas around here are Harris though.

Under talkgroups - Separate columns for the TG# and Alpha text
2019 BayCounty PD
2020 LEIN
2022 Sp. Events 1
2023 Sp. Events 2
2024 Sp. Events 3
2025 Sp. Events 4

Under frequencies - Separate columns
853.3375 MOT
853.8000 MOT

Under Settings- check marks on:
Bank enabled
closed mode
TGID sub banks
ID delay 2000 ms

Under trunk settings
all are at default as MI is rebanded but trunk tables not needed. Edacs format is decimal.

Under Configuration
Items checked only are 'Extended frequencies' and Digital AGC on'

The display is as the video PRO-96 - YouTube
no TG#'s shown.

Heck might be something unique with that system being used or with Harris?
These 96's are long in the tooth and being forced into working with systems that probably weren't even going yet or on the drawing board when the 96/2096's were probably even being designed.

I know of one instance I worked with someone in a 7 tower simulcast system that no matter what we did, attenuation, antennas, etc. it was dead silent. He and I recall another on the forums from Lapeer county ended up getting new radios - 396XT.

I see Linn is a simulcast system, so to me if your not getting anything, your probably getting too much signal which the RS radios are well known not being able to handle well as what happened above. Try removing the antenna and using yes a paper clip!
Example all be it a 106 - PRO-106 800mhz interference (no more) - YouTube

One comment seen there -
KB3SJV3 years ago
Same Problem with my Pro-96 , Ill be monitoring the RR fourm

Last edited:

CA58

Premium Subscriber
LOL ok the fellow that did many of those 96's...
Here is an ARC96 sample from a P25 for my Bay County, no areas around here are Harris though.

Under talkgroups - Separate columns for the TG# and Alpha text
2019 BayCounty PD
2020 LEIN
2022 Sp. Events 1
2023 Sp. Events 2
2024 Sp. Events 3
2025 Sp. Events 4

Under frequencies - Separate columns
853.3375 MOT
853.8000 MOT

Under Configuration
Items checked only are 'Extended frequencies' and Digital AGC on'

Under Settings- check marks on:
Bank enabled
closed mode
TGID sub banks
ID delay 2000 ms

Under trunk settings
all are at default as MI is rebanded but not trunk tables needed. Edacs format is decimal.

Heck might be something unique with that system being used or with Harris?
These 96's are long in the tooth and being forced into working with systems that probably weren't even going yet or on the drawing board when the 96/2096's were being designed.

I know of one instance I worked with some in a 7 tower simulcast system that no matter what we did, attenuation, antennas, etc. it was dead silent. He and I recall another on the forums from Lapeer county ended up getting new radios - 396XT.

Having to buy a new scanner does not excite me...LOL! But thank you very much for explaining what could be going on. Harris being used here but maybe not other areas with same P25 system but using other than Harris equip. Right?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I wasnt finished when you quoted me I added on to my message at the bottom.
Same programming went into 96/2096s for another 7 tower and a 4 tower simulcast systems but those seem to work there as I haven't heard any problems over the years for those. All I can say is that it must be the people locations in relation to all the towers as they may not be be getting a signal from too many towers I assume?

Also look at these two threads:
http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...antenna-pro-96-receiving-apco-25-signals.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/237694-paper-clip-antenna.html
36706d1333768766-paper-clip-antenna-my-antenna-001.jpg

Last edited:

jimfromiowa

Premium Subscriber
That is interesting. I will give it a try.
Take a look at the latest in the Linn County P25 help forum. Just need to load the MOT 9600 CC, selected Multi Table, Extended Tables, as follows:
Low Channel 0
High Channel 4095
Offset 0
Base Frequency 851.01250
Step 12.5
Now the 96 works great!

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
There ya go sounds like good info, always good to have those locally that can actually tune in the system. :)

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the latest in the Linn County P25 help forum. Just need to load the MOT 9600 CC, selected Multi Table, Extended Tables, as follows:
Low Channel 0
High Channel 4095
Offset 0
Base Frequency 851.01250
Step 12.5
Now the 96 works great!

Glad it's working..!!

jimfromiowa

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to load files for the newLinn County P25 system that have worked well in several PRO96s in a PRO2096. Upload appeared successful, but the 2096 audio recovered is garbled and unintelligible. Compared with a PRO106 on the bench, it seems that the 2096 sensitivity is extremely low. Fresh upload after initialization didn't make any difference. DSP was v1.3 so installed v1,4 and that didn't help either.

This is for a wheelchair bound neighbor who is currently in the hospital and may come home tomorrow. She really relies on the scanner to keep connected with the pub safety world.

I have an HP service monitor that covers the 800 band, so I will attempt to measure sensitivity. If the receiver is down, I'd appreciate suggestions the best place to repair. I'm an old engineer, but I'm not going to make any attempt without schematics.

Jim w0nkn

talkpair

First off....if that radio has an attenuation button ..........check it's setting.

If you think the radio has drifted off frequency a little bit, you might play around with the base frequency in the custom table for the problem radio.

Changing the base frequency 6.25 KHz lower to 851.00625 will result in the voice channels steering 6.25 KHz lower than their real frequency.

Changing the base frequency 6.25 KHz higher to 851.01875 will result in the voice channels steering to 6.25 KHz higher than their real frequency.

I've never heard of anyone trying this, but it's a harmless experiment compared to opening the case and making blind adjustments.

Also keep in mind that the voice channel displayed will be incorrect.

jimfromiowa

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the ideas. I've tried all the attenuation buttons including Global and doesn't help.

I'm loading the control channel and a couple of voice channel frequencies in a conventional bank and checking the sensitivity with my service monitor. That should tell me if something is blown in the front end.

50+ years ago, a ham in Plattsburg, Mo taught me to leave the screwdriver in my pocket until I understood what I was going to use it for.

Jim

talkpair

Good luck.

If it's a sensitivity issue, tweaking the tables isn't even worth trying.

If 800 has never been programmed into the radio before, it's possible the radio was bad out of the box.

50+ years ago, a ham in Plattsburg, Mo taught me to leave the screwdriver in my pocket until I understood what I was going to use it for.

Sounds like good advice to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.