PRO96 Trunking Phase I Issues??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

Project 25 Phase I system I have all the frequencies programmed the control channel comes up to 96% and its spitting out TGID's

Everyone in awhile I will get a muffled transmission and it seems to be bouncing back and forth from catching the signal to the transmission going back to being distorted.

Not sure if have something set wrong or this scanner can not do the trunking.

Also looking to see if this scanner has any more upgrades to monitor Phase II systems?

Thanks

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
According to their license, it's a simulcast cell. Your scanner is probably being subjected to simulcast distortion. Try turning on attenuation and see if that helps.

And no, the Pro-96 will never be able to decode P25 Phase II. That scanner is ancient, released 16 years ago, long since discontinued and no longer supported.

N8IAA

Project 25 Phase I system I have all the frequencies programmed the control channel comes up to 96% and its spitting out TGID's

Everyone in awhile I will get a muffled transmission and it seems to be bouncing back and forth from catching the signal to the transmission going back to being distorted.

Not sure if have something set wrong or this scanner can not do the trunking.

Also looking to see if this scanner has any more upgrades to monitor Phase II systems?

Thanks

One of the absolutely worst scanners for Phase I systems. Simulcast or not. My 96 was retired in 2008 and relegated to finding new and different trunk systems with Pro96comm. Worked great on conventional P-25. Used to have it the vehicle when taking day trips up to the Great Smokey Mtn. National Park.
Eventually sold it. Started using the Pro-106 I still have now, which unfortunately sits quiet as a back up scanner.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Last update was 1.4 a LONG time ago. My Pro96 works pretty well on P25 but does show it's age on long hours of use. I must disagree a bit with N8IAA .. the Pro96 is not terrible on P25 Simulcast or not and will show that in a video soon.Here's the RRef Pro96 WIKI. I'd try programming it with ARC96 *45 day free trial* and make sure the REBAND for 800Mhz is enabled on the controls of that software.
Pro-96 - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited by a moderator:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Years ago, I programmed a Pro-96 with the Baltimore and Harford County MD systems for a firefighter. At the same time, I updated the scanner DSP to v1.4. The scanner received Harford Co fine but would not receive Baltimore Co at all. Harford Co at the time was a Motorola Type 2 system and Baltimore Co was P25 Phase 1. I went through the entire calibration procedure for the scanner using the proper test equipment but it still would not receive Baltimore Co. I detuned VR4 and the scanner received both systems very well. I would try making a slight adjustment of VR4 for the best P25 decode. Remember where it was before you start to adjust. The location of VR4 is marked on the circuit board. I originally saw the information about VR4 on one of the forums. Here is the link: PRO-96 Internal Adjustments - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I turned my VR4 screw too after seeing that mod on RREF. It's why the Pro96 does pretty well on P25 Simulcast now. All you do is open the scanner up, find VR4 and turn the little screw a bit

Steveradio

Awesome thanks for the tips will give this a try. Actually had pretty good dealings with the PRO96 and the Allentown EDACS system worked well and the P25 used by Water Gap Recreational area but noticed it loosing the signal easily.
Unfortunately will need to fork out the money and upgrade. We have so many systems around us not sure what to buy anymore,

tvengr

Well Known Member
Presently, the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 are the only scanners that will reliably receive P25 simulcast systems. If you are looking for a new scanner, that is the way to go.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
My PRO96 which I still have works as it should. I still use it as there is only P1 in my area. I guess I am lucky whenever I buy my radios- I never have problems. Just like my 3 SDS200's. no probs! :-X

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
If its periodically getting digital noise a few times an hour, chalk it up to being 1st gen digital. 1.2 firmware does it the least, 1.3-1.4 do it a bit more. Some forum posts about it if you do a search, I had one before and there is nothing you can do to alleviate it, gotta live with it.

Replacement , I'd go with a 325P2 , 25,000 memory and 100 quickkeys(banks), although you'll need to get it programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.