pro96 v 396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanger32

Hi,
I have a 396T and can do a clean swap for a pro 96 clone (dts96), is this worth it?
I am based in Launceston Tasmania and mainly listen to the state wide EDACS system and some VHF / UHF channels.

I love the 396T but find it hard to program when away from my pc, plus it locks up when used close to my laptop?

Does the pro96 have any major great features above the 396T?

Thanks
Paul

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
tanger32 said:
Hi,
I have a 396T and can do a clean swap for a pro 96 clone (dts96), is this worth it?
I am based in Launceston Tasmania and mainly listen to the state wide EDACS system and some VHF / UHF channels.

I love the 396T but find it hard to program when away from my pc, plus it locks up when used close to my laptop?

Does the pro96 have any major great features above the 396T?

Thanks
Paul

I wouldn't swap my '396 for a PRO-96. Others may have differing opinions.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Geez Louise...how man times are we going to have these Pro96 vs. 396T threads??? :roll:
Can we make a forum just for these threads???
Sorry to be an ass but someone needs to say something :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Now that I have said the above...
Like I (and many others) have said before:
"if you ask 100 people which is the better radio 50 will tell you the pro96 is and 50 will tell you the 396T is"....I would suggest looking over the many past threads made on this exact same topic and basing your decision based off what features you think are more important :)
Good Luck and Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

b52hbuff

KE4ZNR said:
Now that I have said the above...
Like I (and many others) have said before:
"if you ask 100 people which is the better radio 50 will tell you the pro96 is and 50 will tell you the 396T is"....I would suggest looking over the many past threads made on this exact same topic and basing your decision based off what features you think are more important :)
Good Luck and Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

But I think if you look at 'qualified' opinions with background information, I think it falls along the following lines:

Pro-96:
'Better' digital decode with less configuration
Easier to use for folks who are used to channels/banks
Win96 software is very powerful & intuitive

396:
More bells & whistles
Dynamic memory
Close Call
Includes programming software & cable.

Now having said all that, and owning both, if I could only own one, it'd be the 396.
'Real Mil-Air'

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
1st off I probably owe tanger32 an apology...my exasperation was not directed towards you personally...we have just had alot of threads made about this exact subject over and over again :)
And b52hbuff:
I do see what you are saying and the first part of your comparison is valid...however the last part is subjective as you are saying what is best for you...tanger32 has to figure out what is best for him...and to do that I am sure he will find a wealth of info in the other threads made about this exact topic :)
Bottom Line: Each radio has pluses & minuses and neither is perfect...
Good Luck tanger32!
Marshall KE4ZNR

b52hbuff said:
But I think if you look at 'qualified' opinions with background information, I think it falls along the following lines:

Pro-96:
'Better' digital decode with less configuration
Easier to use for folks who are used to channels/banks
Win96 software is very powerful & intuitive

396:
More bells & whistles
Dynamic memory
Close Call
Includes programming software & cable.

Now having said all that, and owning both, if I could only own one, it'd be the 396.
'Real Mil-Air'

Status
Not open for further replies.