Pro-96: PRO96 Won't receive upload

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsmith8706

Premium Subscriber
I looked for a couple of hours for an answer to this and tried a lot of things but nothing seems to be working, so sorry if this is a duplicate post.

I'm trying to reprogram my pro96 but it will not take an upload. I can download the info on the scanner with no problem, so that would seem to me that everything is working like it's supposed to. For grins I deleted and reinstalled the driver for the usb cable. No change. It says everything is up to date and working properly. I tried with and without the pigtail, though I don't think that will make a difference. I've tried both ARC96 and WIN96 and gotten the same results. They both act like they are uploading to the scanner, but nothing is actually changed on the scanner. As far as I can tell, it should be working, but it's not.

Any thoughts?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you do a PC upgrade? Both Win8 and 10 have made significant changes to how they handle their drivers. I would also check Device Manager and see if the port you think is available actually is - some PC accessories have the nasty habit of grabbing a port and not letting it go, even though you physically disconnected it...Mike

lsmith8706

Premium Subscriber
I'm running Windows 8, but I have been for a long time. The port I'm using is free but I've changed it a couple of times anyway, just to see if that would make a difference. I've uploaded to my uniden scanners and several radios I use for SAR with no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

trp2525

Any thoughts?

1. You didn't say if you are using a genuine Radio Shack programming cable or an aftermarket cable. If you are using an aftermarket cable you might want to try a genuine Radio Shack cable as there have been some anecdotal reports of an aftermarket cable not allowing 2-way communication with certain scanner models. The genuine Radio Shack scanner programming cable # 2000546 is currently only available in Radio Shack stores: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-usb-pc-scanner-programming-cable?variant=20332489157

2. If you are using a USB 3.0 port on your computer you should try using a USB 2.0 port to see if that makes any difference. USB 3.0 is supposed to be fully backwards-compatible but you never know.

3. Try rolling back the FTDI driver to an earlier version to see if that makes a difference. You can download older FTDI drivers here: Virtual COM Port Drivers

4. If you have access to a computer with an older operating system like Windows XP you should load your program (ARC96 and/or Win96) and the Windows XP FTDI driver into that computer and see if you then have 2-way communication with your scanner. If you do, that would point to a driver/compatibility issue with your newer operating system.

I can tell you from personal experience that I could not get my Uniden USB-1 programming cable to work on my Windows 10 Home computer initially. (By the way the same cable worked perfectly on my Windows XP computer at the time.) I found out through research that the 7-year old Uniden cable that I had contained an older chipset that was not compatible with the latest/newest driver that was present in Windows 10. After forcing Windows 10 to rollback the driver to an earlier version that worked with my older-chipset Uniden cable, everything works fine. I can now use either my Windows XP or Windows 10 computer to program my Uniden scanners.

Lastly did this same programming cable that you have work for 2-way communication previously in Windows 8 with the same PRO-96 scanner that you have? If it did work in the past, perhaps recent Microsoft updates to your Windows 8 operating system have altered something causing your cable to no longer work for 2-way communication.

lsmith8706

Premium Subscriber
The more I mess with it, the more I think it's the cable. I didn't go with a genuine RadioShack cable, which I regret. It worked a couple of years ago on vista, but I guess it doesn't play well with Windows 8. I'll try rolling back the drivers.

lsmith8706

Premium Subscriber
It's not a USB 3.0 and I don't have access to a xp either. Sadly my laptop with xp on it died due to an unfortunate water incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.