Pro96com and BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayaresr

As the title would suggest, I've been trying, so far unsuccessfully, to get my BCD396XT working with Pro96com using the control channel output to serial. I have control channel data set to on, com port speed matched on both ends, and the active control channel programmed into a system in the scanner. Have tried both holding the scanner on the control channel, and scanning the system with all other systems turned off. For kicks, I have opened up a terminal session and can see the data being received by the computer from the scanner, and in the usual 4 character hex format. I've tried both Pro96com, and Unitrunker (which I've successfully used before with a discriminator tapped scanner). Have attempted both programs on 2 different computers both with actual serial ports, not using any usb to rs232 adapters. I am trying with a TRS I receive very well from my location, as I am only a few miles from one of the towers. Despite all of this, I can't get either program to decode on the system. The radio system is Motorola 9600 P25. Its got to be something simple that I am just missing I am sure. Sorry this was so long, just wanted to be sure I painted the best picture I could of what's going on.

Thanks for any help,
Ryan

SCPD

QRT
For Unitrunker - make sure you're using release 23. There was a broken beta from a week or so ago that some people picked up by mistake.

ilgrant

Disregard, Mikey.

Ryan - You have to enable the Control Channel Output feature. MENU - > SETTINGS - > SET C-CH OUTPUT - > ON - > (front or rear depending on your configuration).

Whoops...you already did that. You checked to make sure that Pro96Com is set up for 396XT under the decode configuration and the obvious pressing of the Read Data from Radio button?

Last edited:

ayaresr

I'll have to check the version of Unitrunker that I've been trying. Will do that and follow up when I get a few minutes on the other computer. As for Pro96com, I have the 396XT selected, correct com port and speed settings, and on the main screen, have pressed the read data button to the lower right. I don't see anything above that button to indicate the program is actually receiving any of the data.
Thanks again for the help,
Ryan

ilgrant

Are you using 1.10.5 version of Pro96Com? That's what I'm running that is working.

After you hit the Read Data button and you are parked on the control channel the bar should fill up and a decode rate displayed.

Last edited:

ayaresr

Thanks for the reminder about the .24 vs .23. I remember now reading about that and it never dawned on me. That's got Unitrunker again working for me. The Pro96Com still has the same problem of no decode. It is on version 1.10.5, and the bar not filling up is what I was referring to when I said I don't see any sign of it getting data. Not sure what to make of that now that I have confirmed it doesn't appear to be a problem with my interfacing to the scanner.

Again, thanks all
-Ryan

ayaresr

Most of the time Delaware's public safety system. State of Delaware Public Safety Trunking System, Statewide, Delaware - Scanner Frequencies

Was looking to tinker with a few new systems coming online in both NJ and DE. That, combined with a recent computer reload are why I ended up downloading a newer version of Unitrunker. The jack I put in my other radio for discriminator tap has become flaky, so I figured I would try the 396 this time around, and it appears I threw a few too many changes into the works at once, clouding the source of my problems. Glad to have your program back up and running.

SCPD

QRT

ayaresr

You know, I hadn't even looked at system compatibility. That would explain my issue. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew I was overlooking something.
Again, thanks for all the help!
Ryan

ilgrant

Good catch, Unitrunker.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what kind of control channel is it that makes Pro96Com incompatible with the system?

Thanks.

ayaresr

The system type is Motorola Smartzone, not P25, which is what makes it incompatible with Pro96Com.

Status
Not open for further replies.