Pro96COM Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I recently started using a new laptop and today finally got around to installing Pro96COM on it, and have run into a problem. The program will run just fine but whenever I try to acccess the Decoder Configuration menu I get an access violation stating: Access violation at address 0068A540 in module 'Pro96com.exe'. Read of address 65746169.

If I click on OK it will let me into the Decode Configuration menu however the select serial port section is greyed out as well as the Rescan button.

Any suggestions? I'm running WinXP + SP3, with .Net 3.5.

Thanks!

mikey60

Are you trying to access these options while actively decoding a control channel? If so, that would explain the options that are grayed out.

I don't see that error here, so I will have a difficult time finding it. I'll see what I can do though.

Mike

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
No, I haven't been able to decode anything yet as I cannot setup the serial port in the decoder configuration. When I first launch the program I will get the access violation as soon as I attempt to go to Edit/Decode Configuration.

Highpockets

No, I haven't been able to decode anything yet as I cannot setup the serial port in the decoder configuration. When I first launch the program I will get the access violation as soon as I attempt to go to Edit/Decode Configuration.

Can you use Wordpad or Notepad and go into your Pro96Com Config and the first line is the Com Port setting, I wonder if you do that it will solve your problem, I'm just guessing here. :)

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I was wondering that myself... But I don't see a config file anywhere. Perhaps that is part of the problem right there... the program isn't able to create the config file for some reason?

Highpockets

I was wondering that myself... But I don't see a config file anywhere. Perhaps that is part of the problem right there... the program isn't able to create the config file for some reason?

With the new version the location changed, I'll have to look and see where mine went, don't remember off the top of my head.

Mine went to My Documents (Pro96Com) folder.

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Ok.... I have found it there as well. I will give that a try.

Actually... I've noticed that when I go into the Decode Configuration screen (after clicking OK to the Access Violation), if I click into the greyed out area where the serial port selection should be... the available ports then appear. I will grab my radio at lunch and see if things will work selecting the port this way.

Attachments

• PSR1.jpg
    PSR1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 891
  • PSR2.jpg
    PSR2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,110

mikey60

Yes, the default location for the ini file is now My Documents\Pro96Com. This was changed due to issues with User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

There are a couple other INI options that may help as well. It may be erroring while scanning for COM ports.

You can add these keys to the Pro96Com.ini file to change that behaviour:

[Communications]
ShowAllPorts=Yes
HighPort=255

The ShowAllPorts option disables the scan for existing ports and will show all possible COM ports, even if they don't actually exist on the computer, up to COM[HighPort]. It would be up to the user in this case to determine which COM port is actually being used. That can usually be done in the Windows Device Manager.

Mike

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That did the trick! I added that to the .ini file and I no longer get the Access Violation.

Thanks so much!

LeapFrog

Pro96Com Access Violation when selecting decode configuration

I had this same problem in 1.10.5.187 after the number of COM ports went past the Pro96Com default configuration (was that COM5, or ??) - I had COM ports up through 13 in my Windows 7 installation. Changing the first entry in the ini file (C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Pro96Com\Pro96Com.ini) was the workaround:

[Communications]
Port=
Latency=10
ScannerType=2
UnidenSpeed=115200
ShowAllPorts=Yes
HighPort=13

Note the the 'highport' now shown is COM16, so regardless of how you look at it this appears to be a bug.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
After years of stress-free use, I'm suddenly also getting these violation messages. Specifically:

Access violation at address 0068CA8C in module 'Pro96Com.exe'. Read of address 65747379.

It comes up when I attempt to edit the decode configuration. Like other users, com port selections are greyed-out. When I click into the com port box, I get COM3 to appear, but; a) I can't select it, and b) my PSR500 is on COM15.

Ideas?

mikey60

Are you an active decode at that point? Most of those controls are disabled when the program is actively decoding.

You could try deleting/renaming the Pro96Com.ini file and see if that helps.

Mike

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
No on the active decoding, but I was getting the message anytime I went into any of the settings menus. I re-installed the system and now anything I do in the program brings up a message saying "Error Code 3: Path not found". Another new issue since re-installation is not being able to close the program at all without killing it in Task Manager.

mikey60

The error code 3 is probably an incorrect COM port. Have tried locating and deleting any Pro96Com.ini files on your system. They could be in more than one location due to the way UAC works on Windows Vista/7.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.