Pro97 1000 Adapter Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamyork2

I have owned a Pro97 for approx 2 years and have always used 9V 800mA adapter. Last week my scanner stopped working with the adapter, but would work using the AA batteries (very expensive to constantly use this way). So I thought there was a problem with the adapter and bought a new one.....same problem. I even took the scanner to another house and plugged it in thinking maybe something had gone haywire with my electrical at home.......same problem, but worked with batteries. Well, I bought another Pro97 and tonight experienced the same problem! My brother has the same type of scanner and uses the adapter and his is working.

Any ideas as to what the problem is and how to correct? This is driving me nuts.

pamyork2

No....I thought since I bought a new one and tried it that it was not an adapter issue. But that is a good suggestion. It is just so odd now that I tried the brand new scanner and it has the exact same issue.

Thanks for responding.

N1BHH

I never use any adapters to power my scanners, except when I'm in my van and the batteries have discharged. I allow the batteries to operate the scanner. I always have extra sets of batteries at home, I always charge them fully, with an external charger. When using any adapter to power the radio, I remove the batteries, because they will not power the radio reliably when you want it to do so. Batteries need to be fully cycled so they won't get the memory problem.

As far as the adapter is concerned be sure to use the "C" Adaptaplug, this is the correct plug to use, and observe the proper polarity. if you are using an off brand adapter, it most likely is of improper size (inner diameter and outer diameter) for the scanner. It may have worked for a while, but it may have opened the coaxial jack contacts further, or it may not have, it was just luck that it worked before, causing contact to be lost. The correct AC power adapter is Model #273-1768 and the correct DC power adapter is Model #273-1811.

Robert_Boydd

I used this thread because it mentions part numbers and such.
I understand that there are wall adapters other than the radioshack ones that will power the old Pro97.
I use one from a blood pressure monitor, but can't find another one. Is there a cordless phone ac adaptor that works?

Thanks!

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I used this thread because it mentions part numbers and such.
I understand that there are wall adapters other than the radioshack ones that will power the old Pro97.
I use one from a blood pressure monitor, but can't find another one. Is there a cordless phone ac adaptor that works?

Thanks!
As long as the VOLTAGE is correct, the CURRENT is at minimum the correct amount or higher, the POLARITY of the plug is correct at the scanner, and the PLUG and the scanner end of the cable is the correct dimensions.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
In another thread here, recently there was a problem with part of the connector coming apart inside the power jack of the scanner. It kept any power plug from being inserted far enough to make contact. So look in the power jack of the scanner for a "foreign object" and/or check the plug (scanner end) of your original power adapter to see if the end might have broken off.

Robert_Boydd

I guess what I was asking was...
Does anyone know of a cheaper ac adapter for a Pro-97? For example "get yourself a Sanyo mp3 player cube from Walmart, item number 123abd, only $3.99"

I understand the varibles involved.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
When I first got a GRE made scanner, I stopped at a couple of garage sales and flea markets and looked through the box of adapters people had. I was able to find some with the correct plugs and some that were the correct voltage/etc and made my own (~$1 each). Otherwise buying them ready-made seems to be a bit pricey.

DickH

I guess what I was asking was...
Does anyone know of a cheaper ac adapter for a Pro-97? For example "get yourself a Sanyo mp3 player cube from Walmart, item number 123abd, only $3.99"

I understand the varibles involved.

Do yourself a big favor. Go to Walmart and buy a charger and 2 sets of Pre-charged NiMH batteries. Keep changing the batteries and don't use an A/C adapter. Sooner or later it will be trouble.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
One thing I didn't see mentioned about power adapters (putting in my two cents) -

Direct Current (DC) power adapters as long as they have the correct voltage and an amperage / wattage rating higher than the unit requires will work. The most common mistake is to buy one which has an aperage / wattage rating under the required size. The unit will draw the correct amount of current it requires from a higher rated adapter.

When the adapter is under powered the unit cannot get the required amperage / wattage and it will cause unwanted consequences. Melted adapters, smoked radios, fires from overheated adapters are common.

PMStewart

Robert_Boydd

Well I solved the adapter issue by buying a 5 pack of power plugs for a few dollars on e-bay. The place is full of 9v dc .3amp ac adapters too.

Thanks for trying!

PS: I have two portable RS scanners that runn on AC for months at a time and battery all summer at the races. They are 6-7 years old and I have had zero issues with ac power... So far <grins as he knocks on wood>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.