TRX-2: Problem Downloading Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if it's the Whistler software, or my computer (Windows 10) causing the problem, but here it is: When I hit the "get list" button to start the audio download process, the program will load about half of the files before it simply cuts off and stops downloading. My computer itself pops up an alert saying the "removable USB drive", the scanner, has been disconnected. So basically for some reason the connection is being interrupted.

Also, after the connection is interrupted, the scanner still shows "Charging Backup Battery" on the screen. However, it's frozen and can't be turned on. Even when I remove the USB cable from the scanner, the screen still displays this same message. The only way to fix this is to unplug the scanner and plug it back in.

Lastly, I should say that I have downloaded audio many times before without issue. I usually have about 500 files on the SD card, but this time I have a little over 8000 in total. Also while downloading I only have the scanner software open, I don't have any other programs running in the background.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

SCPD

QRT
Tips .. card reader. I never use USB except for firmware updates and never have any problems.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Tips .. card reader. I never use USB except for firmware updates and never have any problems.

I would just use a card reader but I like the details shown in the software, like time stamp, TG, site, etc. Especially with 8000+ files and I'm looking for a specific few. Viewing that information isn't possible without using the actual software correct?

SCPD

QRT
Better idea .. check this out. If you are only interested in a few files .. this may do it. Myself I record a ton of audio and most I am not interested in, but there is some that I do want to listen to for various reasons.

http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/349539-unattended-logging-whistler-scanners.html#post2730421

I personally made an application to do what I needed to do. But .. you do not want to copy the files if you do not have to. That is what is going to take the time.

BrianG61UK

I would just use a card reader but I like the details shown in the software, like time stamp, TG, site, etc. Especially with 8000+ files and I'm looking for a specific few. Viewing that information isn't possible without using the actual software correct?

You can disconnect and switch off the scanner, remove the SD card from it and put it in a card reader that is attached to your PC and then start up EZ-Scan and direct it to the card reader rather than to the scanner, in fact it'll probably automatically find the card since it looks exactly like it would when in the scanner except it can be read from and written to much faster.

You can use use this method for copying frequencies and configurations to and from the SD card as well.

You cannot use this method for updating the scanner's firmware or for setting the clock in the scanner from the EZ-Scan software.

You should also begin to investigate the reliability problem with the USB connection to the scanner. It might be worth just trying a new USB lead. Or maybe a different USB port of the computer will work better. You'll need it to be reliable if you have to update the scanner's firmware.

Last edited:

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the helpful tips, can't believe I didn't think of some of these. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.