Problem monitoring a trunked system

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB31387

I spend many weekends in Ocean County, New Jersey and my PSR-500 and Pro-106 scanners can't monitor the county's trunked radio system in the 500 mhz band. I imported the system using the PSREdit500 software. I can hear fire and EMS dispatches, which come through on a non-trunked frequency...but the trunked system is silent on these receivers. What is odd, is that I can see readouts on the display that indicate the radio is receiving transmissions from "Fire Zone 4" or whatever, but there is never any audio. The system is not encrypted, nor is it even digital. I know this because I programmed all of the frequencies into an old analog scanner, locked out the control frequencies and was able to hear transmissions. Of course, it was impossible to follow a conversation, but I at least confirmed that the transmissions can be heard. Has anyone had a similar problem - and is there a solution? Would a Home Patrol be the answer? Thank you for any help.

DickH

Do you have all 11 freqs. programmed? They may have changed the control channel.

JB31387

I can't be sure of that because of the way the software imports systems. It looks like only the three control frequencies get imported and the scanner software is supposed to find the rest of the channels on this type of Motorola system. The scanners have keypads, but I have had no luck with manual programming. Every other system I've captured with the software seems to work fine.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Apart from a programming issue, the symptoms smack of an overload issue - that is, if this is the system you're talking about -

Ocean County Trunking System, Ocean County, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies

(it does have a few encrypted talkgroups...)

Essentially, what may be happening is that you are receiving too much signal from more than 1 tower at a time. The database says that this is a simulcast system - which means every talkgroup is echoed from every tower. Whether the new x36 scanners Uniden will be coming out with in a week or two perform any better is not yet known. I would have thought this was a simulcast distortion issue, but that's more something that happens with P25 simulcast systems, which this system isn't

Apart from posting your data file - that's really the only way anyone can diagnose whether it's a programming error or not - you're probably better off posting in our NJ forum, where other locals can suggest fixes, if there are any (did you try to add attenuation to the TSYS?)

New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

Last edited:

JB31387

That is the system. I just got my old Pro-95 back from repairs. That scanner can be programmed via the front panel. I'm going to try using it the next time I'm in that area. The fire department transmissions I'm interested in hearing are not digital. I'll put in all of the frequencies and see if the scanner can follow the system. I know the radio does a good job on trunked systems in the 800 band, but I've never tried to monitor something in the 500 band. Thank you for the responses. I may be back...or I may try the NJ forum if I'm still baffled. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.