Problem receiving NJICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansky

I have a Home Patrol 2 and just in the past few weeks I can no longer hear the West Orange simulcast. Were any changes made to the control channels? I manually typed in the 4 frequencies listed as control channels in the DB and I'm not hearing a carrier on any of them. Is anyone else having trouble with this location? Union County is acting up for me too. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

I already tried deleting and re-entering these favorites list via Sentinel and that has not helped.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
No issues here. Currently tracking on 774.78125.

It is and has been the weakest signal of any trunking system within 20 miles of me and I'm about 2 miles from the tower at Eagle Rock so go figure...

Analogrules

For me it depends on the weather and/or radio conditions. Some days both Union and Essex Sites come in semi clear, other days I simply have to temporarily block the entire system because it comes in broken up. Even on good days, it sounds like they are speaking through a hollow tube. Digital will never sound as crisp and clear as analog, just like CD's and MP3's will never sound as good as 45 RPM records.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Ironically I had noticed some issues at my work office. I was using some external antenna for quite some time and was able to pick up NJICS and some conventional since the office bldg stinks for reception, then, the NJICS stopped working....

I have gone back to the stubby antenna and it was better, but, I was still having some receptions issues down there (in Livingston, Essex).

When I am home (same area) I have no issues on handheld or the attic antenna scanner.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
LSM

The only purpose my $500+ Uniden scanner serves is to record conventional frequencies to log and then program into my Motorola radios.

Great Job Uniden!

This post will probably be moderated/removed

ansky

LSM

The only purpose my $500+ Uniden scanner serves is to record conventional frequencies to log and then program into my Motorola radios.

Great Job Uniden!

This post will probably be moderated/removed

I agree with you. My HP-2 is useless on these simulcast systems. I'm located in West Orange and I can hear the Union County site pretty well for the most part, but WO is unlistenable.

Anyway, I was able to resolve my issue by clearing all the user data in my scanner and reloading all the favorites lists via Sentinel. I have no idea why only my NJICS lists were not working.

bailly2

if your getting distortion from these lsm simulcast sites stick the anntena into a hole on the side of a empty paint can near the bottom. best thing for it, even works good while mobile.

Analogrules

Yeah, I just sold my Bcd436. For me, it wasn't worth it to only receive NJICS on "good days". Digital is terrible. I bought an analog BC125 scanner to replace it and couldn't be happier with it and realize now how much analog I was missing out on while the digital scanner struggled so much to decode the NJICS system.

My prediction is that many more PDs will go fully encrypted within the next few years anyway, the way things are going. Before I sold it, I noticed Elizabeth and Linden PD switching to encrypt a little more often too.

The one thing I will miss is monitoring the AC PD when I am down there, because they actually sound good on their system.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
My BCD436HP with an RH77CA on my desk, in the house, with plenty of electronics around receives the system fine. And on the road, my HP2 on a Larsen tri-bander receives NJICS fine also. Seems like it depends on user and location.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
With portable scanners there will always be issues monitoring a system like this. If I just move my portable 8 inches from one spot on the desk to another the reception goes from nothing to full quieting. Unless you're right near a site you're going to have issues with dropped signals with scanners.

When I'm mobile I have much better reception of the analog 800 NJSP system then the digital 700 NJICS system using scanners with a good antenna. The Motorola mobile radio has zero issues with the NJICS system, all clear all the time.

Maybe some day the scanner manufactures will get it right. But perhaps they see the writing on the wall with many agencies switching to encryption. Why invest improving the scanners when they will be obsolete in the not so near future for monitoring police agencies. Yes they have plenty of other uses but most folks are interested in listening to the police.

Analogrules

I am curious how the BCD325 does with the NJICS system? Has anyone found that it works better than the 436? And, yes, I agree with Skypilot.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I am curious how the BCD325 does with the NJICS system? Has anyone found that it works better than the 436? And, yes, I agree with Skypilot.
I am using a BCD325p2 in Essex County and Iam able to monitor the West Orange Simulcast and the Union Simulcast from my house with little issues. I have friends who are in Hudson with different radios and cannot hear the Union Tower and I have no idea why that is.

Love this little handheld minus the fact whether I put regular batteries or the recharable's the life is TERRIBLE!!! Like it is a waste fo AAA batteries. I am lucky when I unplug it to move from my office to the living room sometimes.

Thanks,
C.J
Sent from the Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I have 325P2. I'm only about 5 miles from the berlin site. It works pretty good around the house. I don't take it out much so can't add much more then that.

scannersnstuff

I'm not too far from njics Holmdel and Neptune. I am pretty pleased with it . I have the opportunity to put it up against a police officer's apx-6000, and the sound of the bcd325p2 is pretty good compared to the $6,000 radio. Of course the apx-6000 is louder.

W2IRT

My brand-new 996p2 has no trouble on NJICS from West Caldwell, in both Phase 1 and Phase 2. That never used to be the case on my 996xt and 396xt listening to Phase 1 Fairfield PD; It had always been choppy. So they must have changed something around on the antennas for the WO Simulcast, and whatever they did, it worked. Now my 3 radios have a clean copy on all monitored agencies.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
We must be in a sweet spot here in West Caldwell. My 2 home patrol 2's are absolutely flawless at home. When I'm listening in Verona on a 996p2 it's a different story. It goes from good to great to an unrecognizable garbled mess and back again. I really wish they would figure this out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.