Problem w/5th USB Souncard & USB Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvscan

I'm running 4 feeds on one computer with 4 copies of ScannerCast, 3 USB soundcards, 1 internal soundcard. I installed a 4 port USB hub and it successfully recognized the USB soundcard I attached to it. This covers the first 4 feeds on this machine.

I installed a 5th copy of ScannerCast on this machine and attached a 2nd USB soundcard to the USB hub. The USB soundcard successfully installed its software. ScannerCast recognized the USB soundcard (as #5), however my feed was playing the feed assigned to the 4th soundcard. The USB soundcard light was not flashing, which indicates a problem. I checked my device manager and it indicated 4 USB soundcards and not the 5th. I am using Windows XP.

Any help would be appreciated.

hvscan

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Thanks Deeke, I'll look through it.

cpuerror

Sometimes USB sound cards just cannot get along on the same hub. I've had that problem before and the only solution was to move one of them to a different port on the machine.

hvscan

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Thanks CP, the problem is I'm now out of ports. If I add an internal wireless card, that would free up one port. I may try that if all else fails.

hvscan

Thanks 6. That may do it for me. I like the free shipping, as well.

Deeke

Or you could install a PCI card that will give you at least another four USB ports. They run about $12. Here is one with free shipping from Newegg.

Newegg.com - Rosewill NEC 4+1 Port USB2.0 PCI CARD Model RC-101 - Add-On Cards

Nice find ! I also noticed a $10 version and here's and external if you don't have any expansion slots or just don't want to go into the computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182056

I just wonder in 5 yrs how many usb ports and expansion ports will come on the new pc's

Of course there probably will be all new expansion technology by then.

hvscan

Thanks Deeke, I agree. This thread will probably be of no use 5 years from now except that in the radio hobby we do have a habit of making old technology work. I still keep an old DOS laptop around just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.